Anniversary update changed settings for the worse

cynicoren

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Hello,

After the win10 update last night the anniversary update, windows changed for the worse: screen resolution changed - I use a 1920X1080 screen, but If I define this as resolution, the borders disappear, so I must use 1776X1000.
Other than that, game menus are slower and even lagging, fps dropped (I run a I5 R290 computer, on nba2k12 it fell from 60 to 50).
Should I rollback? Is it safe, or should I wait for a windows 10 fix?
Please advise,

Thanks

"the borders disappear"
What boarders?
forget it... do this:

1. Change the resolution to 1920x1080
2. Find the auto adjust function on your monitor. (Click menu then look for it. It's different for many different monitors.)
(If you have a TV then try rebooting the computer after changing the resolution.)

All of these errors are why I do a lot of research on which vendors are more likely to be more unstable in certain conditions, then pick my hardware accordingly and build custom.

I hate manufacturers like Dell and HP, their BIOS (or UEFI) are so simple that it's just begging for something to go wrong. Then, because of their sheer simplicity, they don't have a proper response to the problem so the system becomes unstable.

All of these errors are why I do a lot of research on which vendors are more likely to be more unstable in certain conditions, then pick my hardware accordingly and build custom.

I hate manufacturers like Dell and HP, their BIOS (or UEFI) are so simple that it's just begging for something to go wrong. Then, because of their sheer simplicity, they don't have a proper response to the problem so the system becomes unstable.

I'm basing that last post on the differences between different versions of Windows, like 7 to 10.

However, an update that changes the basic behavior of Windows could also trigger these problems, could it not?

I didn't have any troubles with my system at all.

Although one of my clients had a lot of issues... After it installed, it restarted and launched Startup Repair which found no issues and booted normally. Then she had no Taskbar, but could open the Start Menu with the Windows key. So I told her to restart the explorer.exe process. She then had a Taskbar that looked like a bad game of Tetris running from halfway up the left side of the screen to the top right corner. I told her to restart the machine and then press the Windows key to open the Start Menu. The Start Menu appeared but there was no Taskbar, just a blurred out area of the desktop background where the Taskbar was supposed to be. So I renamed UsrClass.dat to UsrClass.old.dat, logged out and logged back in. And what do you know, problem solved.

Why can't Microsoft make something more stable? I mean, they had a year to prepare this.

cynicoren

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008

It's a TV. Didn't work, but I made it work with the GPU driver changing Scaling.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

I got a fix last night on my Surface Book. Not sure what it fixed because I didn't have any issues before the update.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

it received

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3176495)