annoying SP2 wireless problem

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have a Toshiba satellite 1130 laptop, and a wireless network with 128bit
wep encryption turned on the router. After installing service pack 2, the
wireless network's usable range has been halved. I checked with netstumbler
and the signal strength is the same as before but windows seems to need
higher signal strength to connect. Windows will try to connect for a while
and then eventually say it is connected with errors. Or it will say it cannot
connect and to contact your network administrator. Eventually it will connect
but sometimes with a seemingly random ip address that bears no relation to
the ones I set in the LAN settings of my router or the ip address pool. When
windows does this, it thinks it's connected but the connection doesn’t work.
I tried assigning a static ip address and this increased the usable range of
the wireless network back to what it was. But I do not want to keep a static
ip address because I would prefer not to have to turn the static ip address
on and off when I change networks. Is there any way that I can fix this
problem, or is there a way I can stop windows from trying to auto configure
everything.

Is WPA or .1x configured on your router?

--PA