Annoying Thread stuck at device driver BSOD

vyzzal_90

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
My laptop is lenovo z51-70 and for 3 months i have been getting the Thread stuck at device driver BSOD. I took the laptop for repair and they said gpu is faulty and needs replacement. I got my motherboard replaced and after new motherboard still getting the same error. Only way i am able to avoid this bsod by turning off switchable graphics in bios for now. Also i have formatted pc many times and running the latest version of windows 10. My gpu is AMD and also updated the gpu and sound driver to latest version.Also i updated my bios. Help me with this issue please.

Doseq

Reputable
Oct 25, 2014
All dmp files points out to:
THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER_M (100000ea)
GPU Driver fault, its either beacuse of a gpu driver or your graphic card.

Full description:
THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER_M (100000ea)
The device driver is spinning in an infinite loop, most likely waiting for
hardware to become idle. This usually indicates problem with the hardware
itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly.
If the kernel debugger is connected and running when watchdog detects a
timeout condition then DbgBreakPoint() will be called instead of KeBugCheckEx()
and detailed message including bugcheck arguments will be printed to the
debugger. This way we can identify an offending thread, set breakpoints in it,
and hit go to return to the spinning code to debug it further. Because
KeBugCheckEx() is not called the .bugcheck directive will not return bugcheck
information in this case. The arguments are already printed out to the kernel
debugger. You can also retrieve them from a global variable via
"dd watchdog!g_WdBugCheckData l5" (use dq on NT64).
On MP machines it is possible to hit a timeout when the spinning thread is
interrupted by hardware interrupt and ISR or DPC routine is running at the time
of the bugcheck (this is because the timeout's work item can be delivered and
handled on the second CPU and the same time). If this is the case you will have
to look deeper at the offending thread's stack (e.g. using dds) to determine
spinning code which caused the timeout to occur.

And in this case:

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: GRAPHICS_DRIVER_FAULT
IMAGE_NAME: dxgkrnl.sys

vyzzal_90

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012

what do i do then ?

Doseq

Reputable
Oct 25, 2014

Try to follow steps described in this microsoft forum topic, your problem is identical as the one described there:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-update/dxgkrnlsys-and-atikmdagsys-bsod/5e21d9f4-9655-4894-9f69-0173320583cd

vyzzal_90

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
MERGED QUESTION
Question from vyzzal_90 : "Computer freezing while trying to launch any game."

Few months ago i had this problem of laptop going to BSOD (Thread stuck at device driver) and games crashing with screen artifact. I took my laptop to repair centre there they said gpu is dying so had my motherboard replaced with a brand new one.

After new motherboard replacement i formated my laptop again and laptop was working good but the moment i installed AMD gpu i started to get BSOD again (Thread stuck at device driver). I went to repair center again and they again replaced my motherboard again for second time but this time they put i7 model (before i had i5 model).

Now with this 2nd new motherboard i didn't get any BSOD after amd driver installation, however i am facing same issue of games crashing while trying to launch like CSGO, Pubg, World of warships, overwatch etc. But sometimes very rarely the games launch and i am able to play games well for like say 5-10 mins and again it freezes and crashes. The game files are not corrupted i can assure you that. I think gpu i not faulty because its a new motherboard.

I have formatted my PC many times to 7,8.1 but still problem remains. All my drivers including GPU and sound drivers are updated to latest. Currently i am using windows 10 pro 64 bit latest version with all latest drivers.Also i uninstalled amd drivers installed by windows and downloaded latest amd drivers from amd site. Please note that i also tried installing older drivers but still problem remains.
Also i don't use any antivirus program just the windows defender.

I suspected my power adapter might be faulty but tried with another power adapter of same model and problem still remains. I did diagnostics run on Hard disk and ram using lenovo diagnostic tools which ran very long series of test and all tests were passed by ram and HDD. Also there is no problem of overheating as i keep check temp using openhardware and GPUz. Temp is always below 80C or 75C for both gpu and processor while game is runnng.

So if anyone has any idea what's happening and what is causing me such trouble please help me with the problem.Given below are my laptop specs-

Lenovo z51-70
Intel core i7 5500u (earlier it was core i5 5200u in old motherboard before replacement)
AMD r9 m375 gpu (earlier also it was r9 m375)
Windows 10 pro 64 bit