Anonymous Member Faces 10 Years in Prison

Status
Not open for further replies.

BriboCN

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
That is still a raw deal. A DNS attack is something nearly anyone can do it just takes bandwidth. How they got caught is kind of a mystery, those attacks are generally, for a lack of a better word "anonymous"

[citation][nom]BriboCN[/nom]That is still a raw deal. A DNS attack is something nearly anyone can do it just takes bandwidth. How they got caught is kind of a mystery, those attacks are generally, for a lack of a better word "anonymous"[/citation]

They were stupid. Attacks like that have a signature, lots of similar requests for the same stuff. There's only so many ways to waste bandwidth.

G

Can someone please fix the horrible grammatical errors in this article?

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
[citation][nom]BriboCN[/nom]That is still a raw deal. A DNS attack is something nearly anyone can do it just takes bandwidth. How they got caught is kind of a mystery, those attacks are generally, for a lack of a better word "anonymous"[/citation]

Nearly anyone can rob a bank, that doesn't mean it should carry a light sentence.

BriboCN

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
[citation][nom]pinhedd[/nom]They were stupid. Attacks like that have a signature, lots of similar requests for the same stuff. There's only so many ways to waste bandwidth.[/citation]

Its not you doing the request thought, its 1000 or 100000 innocent users that have no idea the command request their computer just sent. If they focused the attack through themselves in any shape or form they are far below the credit I give the organization

BriboCN

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
[citation][nom]tokencode[/nom]Nearly anyone can rob a bank, that doesn't mean it should carry a light sentence.[/citation]

Nearly everyone can jay walk that doesn't mean it should carry a light sentence. Bottom line is if this guy did the exact same thing to you or me and denied us internet connection for X amount of time nothing would be done. Does he deserve to get off scott free?? no, but let the punishment fit the crime

hunshiki

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
It really does fit the crime. Heck, DDoSing such services? Maybe they are "evil companies", but think about the people who use them. You, me. The father who wants to send his son money, so he can buy himself something to eat. The woman who wanted to pay the bill on that very same day. The family who wanted to buy a gift for their kid for some occasion. And the list could go on and on. Think what would happen if you suddenly couldn't pay with your card or you couldn't move your money because such "hackers" (lol).

Thinking about the consequences make that 10 year look pretty light.
Go out on the street and protest. Or start a website/group. Either way, the things they are doing is totally unacceptable.

BriboCN

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
[citation][nom]hunshiki[/nom]It really does fit the crime. Heck, DDoSing such services? Maybe they are "evil companies", but think about the people who use them. You, me. The father who wants to send his son money, so he can buy himself something to eat. The woman who wanted to pay the bill on that very same day. The family who wanted to buy a gift for their kid for some occasion. And the list could go on and on. Think what would happen if you suddenly couldn't pay with your card or you couldn't move your money because such "hackers" (lol).Thinking about the consequences make that 10 year look pretty light.Go out on the street and protest. Or start a website/group. Either way, the things they are doing is totally unacceptable.[/citation]

Fair point, but the person who dos an individual attack to you preventing you from paying bills or donating money to a charity that would save a childs life are they any less devastating? My point is simple. Any of us could be hit straight for a month and no one but our ISP would care. The second a possible interrupt commerce comes up the would is up in arms

BriboCN

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
[citation][nom]Jxmallett[/nom]Can someone please fix the horrible grammatical errors in this article?[/citation]

I doubt it, as far as computers go these are not stupid people. Their attacks were likely completely 3rd party redirects which is very difficult to trace.

sixdegree

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
I always thought that Anonymous is just a cool dude who smoke weed everyday and get all the girls everywhere. His life is already complete. Why do such thing, Anonymous?

G

I can protest on a street and block traffic for hours and nothing happens but block internet traffic and you go to jail.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Fine by me. Most all of the stories you hear about people who claim actions in association with anonymous are not conducting altruistic things. They're script kiddies that spread chaos because they can, and lack the foresight and maturity to realize that their actions really only have real impacts on innocent bystanders most of the time.

Don't like the system? Work from within it, don't hack it from the outside.

If large entities like wikipedia sponsored hacking to combat the controversial issues like SOPA, as opposed to activism through education and protest like they did, things would have gone much differently. Don't like that paypal etc. wouldn't process wikileaks transactions? Protest the services by not using them, and educate as many people as you can about the situation. If enough people actually care, things will change. If they don't, then maybe you should take another look at your situation.

To those saying that the punishment should fit the crime, examine just how wide-spread a shut-down of financial institutions impacts everyday life. For people whose livelihoods rely on banking or paypal transactions, you can easily destroy an innocent person's livelyhood with just a few days or a week of cutting off access to their financial transaction institutions. For small businesses that don't have giant surpluses of cash, and need to buy supplies with a majority of their daily revolving revenue from transactions, if you cut off those transactions they have no means to buy supplies to support their business. Can't buy supplies, can't support their business, they shut down. Not a small deal.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
If I drive my car in the middle of night, in the middle of nowhere and hit a dear, it's not the dears fault, it's mine for being stupid and careless.

In today's days, you can't run a firewall and unmanaged switches and have open SQL servers available to the public. This didn't happen because of some kid that can click a fews keys and call himself a hacker. This happened because said business didn't want ot pay the money to protect itself properly, even with the hundreds of millions of dollars left over in profit every year.

They got what they deserved. They could've prevented this problem by paying for the right people to build / maintain their I.T. Security and they would've had someone else to blame.

Instead these companies want to cry that they are victims while in return they are trying to sue the dear, that they hit, for pain and suffering because "it was there"....

scannall

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
[citation][nom]antilycus[/nom]If I drive my car in the middle of night, in the middle of nowhere and hit a dear, it's not the dears fault, it's mine for being stupid and careless.In today's days, you can't run a firewall and unmanaged switches and have open SQL servers available to the public. This didn't happen because of some kid that can click a fews keys and call himself a hacker. This happened because said business didn't want ot pay the money to protect itself properly, even with the hundreds of millions of dollars left over in profit every year.They got what they deserved. They could've prevented this problem by paying for the right people to build / maintain their I.T. Security and they would've had someone else to blame. Instead these companies want to cry that they are victims while in return they are trying to sue the dear, that they hit, for pain and suffering because "it was there"....[/citation]

So, if I don't hire armed guards to watch my house it's my fault if it gets broken in to, and all my stuff gets stolen?

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
[citation][nom]BriboCN[/nom]I doubt it, as far as computers go these are not stupid people. Their attacks were likely completely 3rd party redirects which is very difficult to trace.[/citation]

I'm guessing these 3 weren't. I agree with you on the whole punishment fit the crime thing. In my opinion the three caught were "kids". I doubt anything was redirected I bet they did it right from their own home pc not using a zombie just being naive. I imagine "anonymous" Has a wide variety of talent from the crazy skilled "sony hacks" to the rooks (majority of your ddos attacks). Just because anyone can say they are part of the group. My .02 cents :p.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
[citation][nom]antilycus[/nom]If I drive my car in the middle of night, in the middle of nowhere and hit a dear, it's not the dears fault, it's mine for being stupid and careless.In today's days, you can't run a firewall and unmanaged switches and have open SQL servers available to the public. This didn't happen because of some kid that can click a fews keys and call himself a hacker. This happened because said business didn't want ot pay the money to protect itself properly, even with the hundreds of millions of dollars left over in profit every year.They got what they deserved. They could've prevented this problem by paying for the right people to build / maintain their I.T. Security and they would've had someone else to blame. Instead these companies want to cry that they are victims while in return they are trying to sue the dear, that they hit, for pain and suffering because "it was there"....[/citation]

It's deer...

There isn't a protection against ddos attacks. It just depends on how much your system can handle. Any system in the world can be brought to it's knees with a ddos attack if there are enough people doing it. All it is... is a game of who has more bandwidth who ever runs out of capacity first loses lol.

Remember that prank where the guy pretended to be from Dow, and announced they'd be paying billions in relief for that chemical plant explosion in India? Their stock plummeted for a time, which may have cost billions, and he got away free and clear, despite the damages. I guess they have to make an example out of somebody(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.