Anonymous Releases Its Own Linux-based Operating System

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
I don't trust this OS AT ALL!

Even if it's a great OS, I'm sure they added little "features" so that your computer automatically participates in DDOS attacks without your knowledge.

Even if it's legit, I'm still sticking to good ol' Ubuntu

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011

Your "Examples" are far too broad. If "anything" downloaded was a crime, the internet itself would be illegal because most websites have you download at least little packets of information for running the website. You wouldn't even be able to check e-mail. As for the song thing, that falls under the "fair use" exemption in most copyright/licensing laws. It's the same way that you can tape a sports match and invite your friends over to watch it without worrying that you'll be sued; because there is a customary exemption.

My problem with Anonymous, and those who defend them fully or tacitly, is that they diminish the effectiveness cleaner forms of protest. Violent protests, attacking companies in the physical world or digital, builds and perpetuates a perception that other forms of protest are at the least ineffective, if not futile, while damaging the very cause that is being supported. We all have companies and causes we think are bad if not evil, but when you start slashing and burning to try to get rid of them, you come off as a petulant child and just another bad guy trying to pretend to be a good guy. Joining 100,000 people to "bury" a website may not seem like much to you, but you're not the one who has to handle the clean-up, or whose business lost customers or reputation for however long it is that your website was taken down. This is the same as getting as many people as you can and standing in front of the door to a brick and mortar store blocking the door, which is illegal as well.

Yes, they do know that what they're doing is illegal. Because a criminal who isn't looking to get attention first of all rationalizes their actions to the point of not seeing it as illegal, and secondly would never so clearly point out to others not to do the very same act they regularly commit. It shows consciousness of guilt.

They say the road to hell is paved with good intentions. I wouldn't go so far to say its the road to hell, but good intentions are not enough to justify any and all tactics to accomplish a desired goal. If you want to give them the benefit of the doubt, I could see Anonymous at its best like this - good intentions but poor choice of tactics. Counter, however, I think they are more like prideful and self-aggrandizing individuals who like the attention and thrill of being able to claim superiority over all these big companies... just like most hackers from the beginning of the internet.

andywork78

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
"Ever sung a few lines from a song in public?"

Well... then every Christmas many ppl have to go a jail because they song in public?

I don't think so.

Good point start with this post.

But it start out of point of article.

Ubuntu base linux.

Well it was Ubuntu then it's safe but once out of there hands.

it's not safe.

No matter what which company redeveloped if is not Ubuntu then Ubuntu base system os are not safe.

Just know what you are doing.

G

I'm very disappointed that the link to download this is still listed on this website...

Fierce Guppy

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
[citation][nom]Fierce Guppy[/nom]You have rocks in your head if your trust a Linux spin rolled out by an organisation of morally dubious hacktivist script kiddies.[/citation]

Argh... "if you trust", not "if your trust" It's 6:40am in the morning, so that's my excuse.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009

I wouldn't even bother downloading it.

lockhrt999

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
[citation][nom]officeguy[/nom]Hmmmm, interesting. So, they do know it is a crime if they attack web sites and that is what they do. I have been saying all along they these people ARE criminals and I always get thumbs down. They you Anonymous for aditting that you are criminals.[/citation]
I agree with you completely. People have lost their perspective. I don't care how many thumbs down I'll have now, the truth always finds its way in the end.

Uberragen21

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
Wait, wait... Let me download the hackers OS so they can turn my computer into a zombie and use it for their DOS attacks on websites; meanwhile I get blamed, because my IP shows up on the webservers list. Yes, that's one for the books.

G

This looks more like a stackscript for the latest version for Ubuntu than an independent OS... It's just a theme and some freeware..

The only thing that really changes anything is that you're stuck with 32 bit, which I do suppose is better if you're crackin' 'cryptions or generating spam. I don't think this should really be covered, because while those are all nice freeware tools, this isn't really worth your time over any other Linux distro; keyloggers/trojans or not.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]I don't trust this OS AT ALL!Even if it's a great OS, I'm sure they added little "features" so that your computer automatically participates in DDOS attacks without your knowledge.Even if it's legit, I'm still sticking to good ol' Ubuntu[/citation]

HA!!! I called it... kinda.

Maybe it doesn't auto join LOIC, but it's riddled with Trojans, and it isn't really Anon's work (not that I'd consider it if it were).

Status
Not open for further replies.