Discussion Another game blowing up NVIDIA GPUS?? Here we go again!

KyaraM

Admirable
Yeah, hopefully just one type of Gigabyte RTX 3080 TI with a bad batch of components.
According to the article it seems like there are other models affected, too; it's only predominantly Gigabyte, but not only:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Adding to my earlier post:
-move volume regardless of PCB components and deal with 'a few' more RMAs
-move volume as soon as the good components are available
The former is more profitable for them, unfortunately for us, who may be in the market for a new card.

I saw a picture of Diablo 4 gameplay and it didn't appear to me that it would be very hard on a GPU because it doesn't look like it uses much in the way of 3D acceleration. It appears to be a 2D top-down view game like the previous iterations. It looks like a game that would be far more CPU-bound, like Starcraft.

I wonder what's making it so hard on GPUs....

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I wonder what's making it so hard on GPUs....
-No Over Current Protection on the gpu, or the limit is set so high, it may as well not be there. Nvidia approves this crap, so let that sink in for a bit.
-Factory and manual overclocks = mo' power, mo' current.
-The pursuit of as much fps as possible brings more power and current with it.
-Using cheap(er) voltage regulators that don't do well with these higher levels of current draw. Goes back to the component shortages - or perhaps the vendor tried to cut costs too much.

Software's just exposing flaws within the hardware.

Reactions: Avro Arrow

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
One would have to ask, should there be a hard limit? Why not let the AIB mess around with how it wants to design the card? If they want to play stupid games and win stupid prizes, that's on them.
Well... if the PCB and its components are on the cheap side, I think it'd be a good idea to implement.

Did you see the EVGA vid by Gamers' Nexus? Nvidia doesn't like their partners getting too creative with their stuff.

Well... if the PCB and its components are on the cheap side, I think it'd be a good idea to implement.

Did you see the EVGA vid by Gamers' Nexus? Nvidia doesn't like their partners getting too creative with their stuff.
Then that goes down a rabbit hole of what is a "good idea" to implement. If you want to enforce a limit so that even the cheapest Chinese crap will run the GPU, then that kind of limits the potential you can get out of it.

And no, I didn't see that video. Nor do I really care about the drama between NVIDIA and its AIBs (I mean, should I?). The only thing I can see NVIDIA not wanting their AIBs doing is making their FE cards look like a bad deal, which would probably explain why the marketing material for my 4070 Ti is basically "we have an awesome cooler"

Then do you suggest leaving things as they are - lowering gpu power limit and fps caps are already existing workarounds.
I mean, I would like to trust people who design and manufacture hardware to know what they're doing so these things are extremely rare, if non-existent. But at the same time, I also hope everyone, not just Gigabyte, is paying attention and seeing if this is a corner case they need to be mindful of.

zx128k

Reputable
The Diablo 4 beta is back on this weekend. So we will see how many new cards die, from the reddit posts. Hopefully these are just faulty cards that gave up the ghost and it just happened to be running Diablo 4 at the time.

-No Over Current Protection on the gpu, or the limit is set so high, it may as well not be there. Nvidia approves this crap, so let that sink in for a bit.
Yeah, 'nuff sed! :D
-Factory and manual overclocks = mo' power, mo' current.
-The pursuit of as much fps as possible brings more power and current with it.
-Using cheap(er) voltage regulators that don't do well with these higher levels of current draw. Goes back to the component shortages - or perhaps the vendor tried to cut costs too much.

Software's just exposing flaws within the hardware.
So this is Jensen's master plan to get people to upgrade. Just fry the previous generation with an innocent-looking beta test of a game that isn't known for being GPU-intensive.

That sneaky little devil! :devilish:

zx128k

Reputable
I checked the PCB of my card online and there is a current limit on my card. They have as far as I could tell put a hard limit on the PICe connector. There are also fuses. Power is safely limited for the VRMs as well.

TRENDING THREADS