Question Another GPU not detected problem, please help

Jan 27, 2022
Hello,
I just built my first PC a few weeks ago and went with a 5700G on a TUF Gaming B550. I realized I wanted improved graphics and ordered a new Rx 6600 XT powercolor red devil. Since I attached it to the motherboard the CPU never has detected it. I updated my BIOS version and I have tried just about everything I could find on the internet forms and youtub to fix. I tried both PCIE slots on my motherboard. Could the motherboard be defective ? the GPU? How could I find out which? I am at my wits end.

Without GPU system works fine?
What PSU model you have?
You did connect power cable(s) to GPU?
What display cable(s) you used with GPU?
What exactly happens when you start the PC with GPU installed? ("CPU never detected it" are meaningless words)

Jan 27, 2022
Without GPU system works fine?
What PSU model you have?
You did connect power cable(s) to GPU?
What display cable(s) you used with GPU?
What exactly happens when you start the PC with GPU installed? ("CPU never detected it" are meaningless words)
OMG I think I just figured out what I did not do, I will have to wait to get home to fix it but... OMG you guys will laugh at me, I only plugged in 1 of the power cables, just enough to turn the lights on the GPU but not enough to make it run right ? I never focused on that because I thought the CPU/ motherboard should detect anything that is inserted into the PCI-E slot.. I think there were 2 8 pin connector places for power. Lord I hope that is it. You will have to cut this novice some slack if that is the problem, like I said this is my first build and I the last time I owned a PC I think it was a gateway back in 1995... I will post update tonight!

I never focused on that because I thought the CPU/ motherboard should detect anything that is inserted into the PCI-E slot.
Depends on the mobo - some will detect it and ask you to connect power, but some will just pretend there is no GPU at all forcing you to come up with your own answer why it does not work. But yes, to make it actually work you have to connect all power cables.

Jan 27, 2022
That was the problem, also the remaining plug was only 6 pin and the PCI-E power plugs from my PSU were 8. I didn't notice that 2 will separate :) lol, another reason why I never thought to plug anything else into the GPU. (lesson learned) GPU< CPU , everything is working great now thanks!

Reactions: DRagor

TRENDING THREADS