[SOLVED] Another ''is my motherboard dying'' Thread

Feb 9, 2021
Few months ago I had some issues with my PC crashing when I was gaming... At first I added a UPS but still PC died whenever I was gaming (UPS started screaming). Suspected was a PSU dying. Replaced it with a corsair unit, and added a watercooling AIO (which cooled temperatures down enormously on top, added bonus). Gaming was fine now for the most part, still the odd screaming from UPS on certain games when it got too intense for a moment but it rarely shut down.

At the same time I upgraded my HDD by adding a 1TB Samsung M2 970 pro. Had loads of issues with PC crashing that was mostly rectified after installing all necessary drivers. Still had errors but no crashing.

Few weeks ago I started up Assetto Corsa and the UPS is screaming constantly and then the PC shuts off. This title was complete fine before it, btw. Also had random complete freezes AFTER gaming, Event ID 9 (xboxgamingoverlay). If I didn't restart my PC after gaming, it would freeze on me within a few minutes to half an hour. No BSOD, just a complete freeze. Left it whilst having dinner and watching a few series (so good 3-4 hours) to see if it was just temporary bt still frozen. Whenever this happened, PC would struggle to POST past BIOS. Took OC off and made zero difference. Shutting PC off at the back for 5 minutes or so tended to solve the issue.

Couple of days back even my turning it off at the back trick didn't work, again even after having dinner and whatnot it wouldn't POST. Not quite sure what I did but after trying constantly of booting via USB, I finally got the option to do a system restore and that worked.

Then today...I couldn't even post! Red light on my mobo suggested VGA the issue this time. The last thing I want to break with the huge premium right now and general unavailability. I tried my luck with my secondary PCi-e slot and thank everything that is holy, it worked immediately. GPU still good.

Worth noting that since last year I live in a country with poor electricity. I'm thinking my mobo received some damage due to over-under volting in the 8 or so months it ran without a UPS.

My spec (including age of components)

MSI 170 Pro Sli plus (bought in 2015, ran daily since and suffered through 6 moves in 5 different countries)
i5 6600K, used to be OC to 4.4, 4.3, ran forever at 4.1 now stock clock (2015)
2x 8gb GeIL ram sticks (2015)
Zotac 1080 GTX Ti (2018)
Corsair RM650x (2 months old)

Due to the country I live in I want to be sure what to replace to be the right thing, as I have to import from a different country with enormous shipping and import cost.

Solution
Overclocking for a long period of time might have weakened the motherboard components like capacitors, VRMs... Motherboards that are specially designed for overclocking have all the hot components covered with heat-sinks.

Generally speaking a motherboard that doesn't or takes very slow to POST and you are sure that the PSU is OK, it could be a CPU or RAM voltage issue due to a dying component, sometimes it will POST after a while when the voltage becomes stable, sometimes it doesn't.
Overclocking for a long period of time might have weakened the motherboard components like capacitors, VRMs... Motherboards that are specially designed for overclocking have all the hot components covered with heat-sinks.

Generally speaking a motherboard that doesn't or takes very slow to POST and you are sure that the PSU is OK, it could be a CPU or RAM voltage issue due to a dying component, sometimes it will POST after a while when the voltage becomes stable, sometimes it doesn't.

Reactions: bas550
Solution
Feb 9, 2021

Thanks...at this point I strongly suspect Mobo but CPU could also be as you say. Either way if either part has failed I'm better of replacing both with a 10600K and a motherboard to go with it...no need to OC either as the 10600k is a huge upgrade and none of the games I play are particularly intensive (iRacing and erm, iRacing). It'll retire next year as a work computer only anyways.

TRENDING THREADS