Another liquid nitrogen cooled water cooled loop

ChazorGames

Prominent
Mar 22, 2017
So for obvious reasons i know you cant run liquid nitrogen per say in a water cooled loop. my question/ idea is having a water loop with the lines being cooled with liquid nitrogen. so let me explain a bit further. The idea is to have a liquid nitrogen container with a hollow pass through tubes that coper tubes slide into. the idea is the container chills the copper tubes and the water from your loop would run through the copper tubes. I am aware the water freezing is a high likey hood, however do you guys think its feasible at all?

Solution
Conquering the 'water-freeze' problem doesn't seem likely. And if it was, you introduce major challenges when you drop surface temps below ambient air, namely moisture in the warmer air will result in condensate being formed. Fun stuff for the lab, but not in any way practical. There is a reason that LN2 practices are they way they are today ... what's now done is based upon 30 years of trial and error and what what's left is what works.
Conquering the 'water-freeze' problem doesn't seem likely. And if it was, you introduce major challenges when you drop surface temps below ambient air, namely moisture in the warmer air will result in condensate being formed. Fun stuff for the lab, but not in any way practical. There is a reason that LN2 practices are they way they are today ... what's now done is based upon 30 years of trial and error and what what's left is what works.

Solution

chazor

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
Thanks guys I hadn't thought of conensation. I just figured if there was enough space between the copper tube running through and the walls of the actual tube pass through the liquid would chill but not significantly.