Another Long-time Graphics Leader Leaves AMD

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

So the graphics guys who came up with good products are leaving yet the CPU guys who made failure after failure are still there.

yezster

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
I hope AMD/ATI will not completely sink out... Or else we will have Intel and Nvidia monopolizing the market and it will be BAD news for consumers... and I mean BAD news!!!

Anonymous_26

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Another one bites the dust
And another one gone, and another one gone
Hey, I(ntels) gonna get you too

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
wowww what are you smokinggg

ATi started doing PHENOMENALLY after about 1 year they were acquired... they slumped on the hd 2xxx series, but the hd 3xxx fixed it in less than a year... and ever since the hd 4xxx series, they've been doing GREAT. i just RECENTLY replaced my hd 4850... i paid like $100 for it.

and before that, they were getting their asses handed to them regularly. at least now they put up a good fight

monsta

Splendid
"AMD believes its New Zealand and 'Sea Islands' architectures will be a potent challenge for Nvidia's GK104 and noted that the Radeon HD 7000 family competes very well against Kepler's reduced GPGPU performance."

GK110 is all I have to say....

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
ATI and Nvidia have been going back and forth since the beginning of time.

I think it's alright that these guys are leaving, bring in new blood and shake things up for once.

sp0nger

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
Does suprise me, AMD will always be #2 to Nvida as long as they keep playing catch up. "AMD believes its New Zealand and 'Sea Islands' architectures will be a potent challenge for Nvidia's GK104" Always playing catch up. Next cards come out that are just barely better than Nvidias year old cards, then Nvida releases there next gen that puts AMD way behind again.

acoriano

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012
AMD graphics are going strong, the only thing ruining the company is their FAILDOZER division...
Maybe AMD needs to do something bold for a chance like Building fabs, and trying to compete with intel.

G

Bulldozer has its place. It powers 13 HPC machines for molecular dynamics we have on campus, each with 64 cores and 256GB 1600mhz RAM. You can't beat the low price/core, even with the shared FPU.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Sad day for the industry...AMD seems like heading to go under...bad for consumer when Intel and Nvidia dominate the market....hmm...maybe Samsung can take over AMD...Samsung has manufacturing capability(and $$), but not the technical design....or maybe Qualcomm can take over, since they're doing pretty well in the mobile market and expand to the desktop arena...

Earnie

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2005
sp0nger

"Does suprise me, AMD will always be #2 to Nvida"

You should quit smoking whatever it is your smoking,it clouds your comments.

XZaapryca

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
He headed a project at ATI since 1998 and just now left the company, but only worked there for 12 years? Article also vaguely implies that he may have worked there even before 1998. Hmmm....

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
AMD seems to have more dumb ass on top of the company than I imaging. They have a huge advantages over Intel for graphic department, if AMD is smart enough they could have integrate GCN into every opteron long b4 Nvidia come up with Tesla card. With the combination of x86 + GPU compute architecture in 1 package AMD can pretty much set up a stronghold in highly profitable server market giving Intel a headache, but sadly they didnt do it. Even till today we dont have a Opteron integraing GCN into it. Such a fail company.

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]AMD seems to have more dumb ass on top of the company than I imaging. They have a huge advantages over Intel for graphic department, if AMD is smart enough they could have integrate GCN into every opteron long b4 Nvidia come up with Tesla card. With the combination of x86 + GPU compute architecture in 1 package AMD can pretty much set up a stronghold in highly profitable server market giving Intel a headache, but sadly they didnt do it. Even till today we dont have a Opteron integraing GCN into it. Such a fail company.[/citation]
Question, why would you want the graphics chip integrated with your main CPU on one huge chip? Server chips are built with reliability in mind, and the reliability of integrated CPU and GPU chips all in one package still hasn't been tested in full yet. Those type of APUs seem more a fit for consumer devices.

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
[citation][nom]yezster[/nom]I hope AMD/ATI will not completely sink out... Or else we will have Intel and Nvidia monopolizing the market and it will be BAD news for consumers... and I mean BAD news!!![/citation]

Maybe not. If PC gamers just have one GPU architecture. Maybe programmers will be able to optimize games and PC can get the same optimization that the weak console gets.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
[citation][nom]Swolern[/nom]Maybe not. If PC gamers just have one GPU architecture. Maybe programmers will be able to optimize games and PC can get the same optimization that the weak console gets.[/citation]

and the same (over)price as weak a$$ consoles

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
The PC has a standard, it's called OpenGL. It works across dozens of CPU/GPU's but the problem is everyone keeps buying into MS. Hate to break this news to everyone but 1) MS doens't use it's own OS to manage it's company (it uses IBM's AS/400 (i5) series. 2) MS didn't write NTFS, it came from IBM along with the NT KERNEL (formally known as OS/2 Warp). 3) THere hasn't been a major upgrade to the kernel since Windows NT.... seriously.4) WIndows 7 kernel is a lightweight Windows Vista Kernel (Same drivers, same regsitry, blah blah). 5) XBOX doesn't run windows.

Stop buying games that are Direct 3D only and maybe, just maybe there is a future that is enjoyable. Otherwise, all this AMD vs NVDA is pure crap.

PS: AMD/ATI can't write drivers still even after 10 yrs they still suck b*llls at it. That isn't going to change that is why NVDA will ALWAYS be first choice by developers.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
oh well, this sucks....i wished ATI never sold to AMD....it would have been better to have sold to nVidia 50 percent of the company and keep the other 50 and concentrate on the mobile market to compete with nVidia's mobile graphics

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
i hate nvidia business practices, and i wont go into detail but in the past they royally screwed me and i wont forgive them.

this is just me but if amd gpu division died, i would go intel before i go nvidia that's how deep my hate goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.