Another Look at Tegra K1 Tablet and Jetson TK1 Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Trine 2 is a 2-3 year old platform game. I don't really call it impressive to show that an ARM-based platform with a decent GPU can run it. Also, not seeing the actual gameplay of said port, we can't really begin to compare (i.e., even though gameplay showed no slowdowns, what's the visual quality like in comparison to the original?).

from the photos, if tegra k1 needs that much active cooling and from the looks of the dc input power supply, there's no way that chip is viable for tablets let alone smartphones. as for the so called tegra k1 tablets - no mention of specs (even if it's a prototype), it's powered from wall socket. there's always chance of overclocking/underclocking.
may be i'm being overly skeptical because it's nvidia.

^^I suppose the actual product will not have the same thermal/power envelope as the Dev kit, which makes you wonder whether this showcase can represent the actual performance delivered by the finished product.

beshonk

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
The Kepler structure is scalable. You want your dev platform to be the same architecture, but scaled up to speed up development (Dev platforms are not for testing, you test on the actual devices). This would require more power and a higher thermal envelope, obviously. You think this is unique? It's the same way developers for ios apps develop on macbook pros, instead of on iphones.The demos, running here, are running on actual tegra k1 prototype tablets. To say that running Trine2 smoothly is not impressive...is strange. It IS impressive for a mobile device to have graphics capabilities at that level. Otherwise, what would be the point of showcasing such?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS