Another Look at the Stunning Next-Gen Unreal

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

nothing special in my view,, CryEngine 2 with DX10 looks much more realistic

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I tested the SDK myself and there's no option (EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm using the beta sdk) for NGP OR Android, just iOS (talking about mobile devices).

I wish developers would take the time to actually develop something graphically demanding like this for PC's, set a benchmark for all other games like Crysis did back in 2007.

G

I guess my new laptop just got ancient. But it suuuuure looks GOOD! I especially found the hair amazing. But if it takes 3x g580 just to demo it, its gonna take a while until us normal people can use it. With Crysis it took over a year until normal people could enjoy it fully. With this... unknown.

Miyasashi

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Wipeout_Swe:

Well I always think Unreal games look decent wether or not you can play it on Full, atleast they make sure anybody can play it even on a lesser computers.

andrewcutter

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
@miyashi crysis can be played on any system you want. ofcourse you want it to be the best possible graphics needed good system but to my eyes crysis at low was still better than other games and looked decent. it even would possibly run on integrated graphics i think. 800 by 600 with low that is.
there was never a problem of crysis never running on a system. the problem was that everyone tried to up the graphics and play it on a system.

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
Wow... Color me impressed. Game graphics technology never ceases to amaze me. Unfortunately, I'm betting that my current AMD 6950 setup won't be able to run that. I wonder when they're going to release a game that uses this game engine. Given that it would need to run on the xbox 360 and ps3, I doubt it will be any time in the next year or so. It was on the iOS though, so it is possible that they would water it down to fit onto consoles.

roleki

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Despite whatever advantage the CryEngine is perceived to have over UE3, UE3 titles still outnumber CE games by a margin of 5 to 1... I wouldn't expect that disparity to narrow with the next generation of tools. So as a PC gamer, this tech demo has me pretty stoked, just hope the next generation of hardware can bring it all out.

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
After having played lots and lots of BF:BC2 I cannot think of games without destruction. Would be nice if Unreal could tackle that feature.

Sure their environments look great but when a huge explosion doesn't even leave a single mark on the static environment it removes the sense of power in the explosion and lots of gameplay possibilities. It's fine for arcade games but for others, no destruction feels very childish.

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
[citation][nom]DR4[/nom]nothing special in my view,, CryEngine 2 with DX10 looks much more realistic[/citation]
Actually, they look on par with one another while the Unreal Engine has a few better features. Main point is the foliage, which looks just as brilliant as the fames forestation in the cryengine.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
[citation][nom]boogien8[/nom]*yawn* now get some good games out! What good is all these awesome graphics if the game itself sux? heh[/citation]
True!
Gameplay has suffered tremendously at graphics expense.

Or perhaps games that look really "unreal" are more fun to play than realistic looking games?

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
I think a 6950 can bring out all these eye-candy goodies on a single monitor, be it at a 1024 or 1080p resolution.

Even a 6850 might do.

The 5800 series cards probably could do it too on a 720p resolution.
The video you saw above loads standard in 360p, and does not look bad at all. Even at 480p it looks pretty crisp!

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
[citation][nom]ProDigit10[/nom]I think a 6950 can bring out all these eye-candy goodies on a single monitor, be it at a 1024 or 1080p resolution.Even a 6850 might do.The 5800 series cards probably could do it too on a 720p resolution.The video you saw above loads standard in 360p, and does not look bad at all. Even at 480p it looks pretty crisp![/citation]

just because the video you're watching is @ xxxp doesn't necessarily mean that the actual rendered scene is rendered at that resolution.

boogien8

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
[citation][nom]schmich[/nom]After having played lots and lots of BF:BC2 I cannot think of games without destruction. Would be nice if Unreal could tackle that feature.Sure their environments look great but when a huge explosion doesn't even leave a single mark on the static environment it removes the sense of power in the explosion and lots of gameplay possibilities. It's fine for arcade games but for others, no destruction feels very childish.[/citation]

This is good to point out as well. With all this technology you would think games would have this as the norm for most games now a days. I mean if I fire a rocket into the ground or the wall of a structure I expect it to do some sort of damage. Not leaving a scratch just doesn't do it any justice

chriskrum

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I second the comments about physics and destruction. I really don't care if the game is photo-realistic or looks like a cartoon--I want to be able to break walls down; I want wood to burn and fire to spread; I want explosions to destroy structures, spread shrapnel, and leave craters. I want guns that shoot through cover. My hopes are on Battlefield 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS