Another problem with hard drive not showing up..

anken

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
I'm so grateful for this forum. Here is my problem:
Desktop PC had windows 10 on it. Original HDD died. Replaced it with 250MB SS and 5TB HDD. Also updated the Video Card. Both new hard drives were working. Big hard drive was working but not very well. It is used for FSX flightsim legacy hardware and software. For this reason, I wanted to go back to Win7, which came originally with this motherboard. Before installing Win7 again, I formatted the big (G)drive because I wanted to give it a fresh start. After installing Win7, the SSD with the OS is working well but second “G” drive now doesn't show up in Device Manager, Disk Management or Bios.
Bios shows boot priority:
“1.Sata 0-Samsung SSD -Evo 25
2. Sata 3- ST6000NM125-1YY110 ( I don't know what that means)
3. Bootable Add-in Cards”
Motherboard: EVGA 132-SE-E 775-KR
Processor: Intel Core i7 990X
Anyway, both hard drives were working before. I have not made any changes except installing Win7.
I have been looking through forums but have not found any solution and tried various solutions within disk management without success.
If you have any suggestion, I would appreciate it very much!!! Thank you in advance.

mazboy

Commendable
Dec 28, 2017
Windows 7 doesn't like HDDs over 2TB (I think). It's an addressing issue. The "2. Sata 3- ST6000NM125-1YY110 ( I don't know what that means)" is your 5TB HDD (it's a Seagate, right?). So your BIOS "sees" the drive but Win7 cannot. You need to backup the data on the big HDD, and then reformat it for Win7 (again, I think).

I suspect someone else will come along on this forum and set you (and me) straight with the details.

anken

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007

anken

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
Thank you, mazboy. The G-drive was visible in Bios but not in Windows Disk Management or in Computer. Have looked through all of the settings I could think of and followed most of the suggestions. Nothing helped, After 2 weeks of frustration, I took it to a very helpful computer repair place. Have been told that it was in the settings...In any case, everything is working well now. Thank you so much for taking the time to write!!