[SOLVED] Another sound issue - but this one's a doozy

mikeincairns

Reputable
Jun 18, 2016
Sorry to start yet another thread about sound issues - not even sure where to post - Software or hardware issue?
I would like some help troubleshooting please. The nice thing about this issue is that it is 100% reproducible (not one of those crazy intermittent issues)

I have an older laptop - Satellite Pro C650 running Windows 10 Home and has now been factory reset.

If I play media (music from HD, USB, online, YouTube) it will play for a while (say 20 sec) and then the audio stops.
I can get it to go again by clicking the volume control in the system tray or using the keyboard shortcuts for volume.
After another 20 sec or so it stops and I repeat the process.

I have checked all the Win Audio Services are running normally.
I have check Device Manager and everything looks normal (Conexant CX20671 Smart Audio HD)
I have checked the Event Log and there is no event that corresponds to the issue
I have run the SFC tool
I have run the DISM tool

I am pretty convinced it is a hardware issue but would like a second opinion before the laptop goes in the bin.
Thanks experts !

Solution
It's possible that the 3.5mm jack is the issue. A tech might be able to take the laptop apart to check.
You could also buy a USB sound card and just use that.

mikeincairns

Reputable
Jun 18, 2016
Boot into a Windows PE environment (Hiren's boot CD/USB, for example).
Hopefully it'll have the right drivers for your sound card. If it does see if you can reproduce the issue there.

Thanks for the suggestion. Took me a while to get Hirens USB boot to work.
Audio does not work at all in Win PE.
Not even a ping when adjusting the volume levels.

mikeincairns

Reputable
Jun 18, 2016
OK..Installed sound drivers in PE.
Same weird stopping and starting of sound while playing a song in VLC.

Thanks for the suggestion.
I now feel it is a hardware issue. And not sure how to tackle this.