Question Another Windows 10 and SSD won't boot problem

3vilc

Commendable
Feb 9, 2020
So I know theres a ton of threads about this already, but tried every solution I've found and nothing seems to work so far.
Usual story, pulled SSD from laptop to fit into desktop, cleaned both drives with diskpart, installed Win 10 from USB, soon as it reboots to finish installing wont boot the SSD. Have tried letting windows create partitions as it sees fit, tried creating my own, changed everything I can think in BIOS, and get anything to show or select as bootable in the bios boot order. Except the flash drive shows as 'UEFI:Toshiba'. Done a test install to the HDD instead with SSD disconnected same thing won't boot from there either. Tried different SATA ports. Both drives detect fine in bios SATA port screen or boot screen, but nothing appears in the boot order other than the install USB and the DVD drive.
Who can point me what else to try so I can post some more results and see if you can help me sort this. Have installed all versions of windows many times and never had an issue before, including back onto the hdd of the laptop I stole the ssd from.

Thanks in advance guys

3vilc

Commendable
Feb 9, 2020
Sorry just at work at the moment.
It's an Acer Veriton S6650G motherboard (I know I know, but it was running win10 prior to me fitting the SSD, APacer 120gb SSD (Panther off the top of my head), Seagate Barracuda 1Tb HDD, can add exact models when I get home if needed. Have tried with just the drive I'm trying to install to connected and all drives connected. I dont see any options to change UEFI or Legacy booting, but UEFI is obviously enabled as its picking up the install USB and being UEFI. All connected drives appear in the SATA port connection list, but none in the Boot priority list, 'Hard drives' only shows the usb drive, EFI devices is empty. From inside the installer command prompt I can see that windows has correctly partitioned the drive and copied all the files to it, just can't boot it. Have deleted and reinstalled a ton of times trying different things, my half hour install has taken about 5 hours mucking around last night so far :)

3vilc

Commendable
Feb 9, 2020
Ok, now here's where s**f gets real strange, after another hour or so fiddling around. Pulled all the drives but the SSD again, clean installed again, still nothing, chucked a random usb drive in that I thought maybe had a live linux on (turns out not bootable) and bang, the SSD now boots and windows is continuing to install as normal. I dont know what was going on obviously some strange bios glitch was causing it to keep looking for the usb to boot even when it's not there