Another windows 10 upgrade question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreadloxx

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
OK so I downloaded the iso preview of Windows 10 through the insider program and installed it on a brand new build . So I had no existing copy of Windows before. Will I get the free upgrade on the 29th? It's not very clear about new builds running the iso preview and the upgrade for free issue.

Solution
the "free" upgrade is based on you having win 7 or 8 currently installed. so if you don't have one of those then no you won't get a free "upgrade"

you can however, chose to keep win 10 as an insider forever so long as you are ok with being a permanent beta tester for them getting new updates before everyone else on win 10.

so no you won't get an upgrade to win 10 since you have nothing to upgrade, but yes you can keep win 10 going forever as a beta tester on your new build.

USAFRet

Titan
Your Tech Preview will roll over to the final release, on or after July 29.

To continue using it, however, you must remain a participant in the Insider Program. Meaning you get whatever updates they want to push, when they want to push them.
In effect, a permanent beta tester.

Further clarification from MS here:
http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/06/19/upcoming-changes-to-windows-10-insider-preview-builds/

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the "free" upgrade is based on you having win 7 or 8 currently installed. so if you don't have one of those then no you won't get a free "upgrade"

you can however, chose to keep win 10 as an insider forever so long as you are ok with being a permanent beta tester for them getting new updates before everyone else on win 10.

so no you won't get an upgrade to win 10 since you have nothing to upgrade, but yes you can keep win 10 going forever as a beta tester on your new build.

Solution
I think that your Windows 10 preview install will convert to the full build. You will continue to receive updates on it, but it will be as if it is still a preview build and you must remain registered with Windows Insider to use it. You may get annoying nag notices, ads, or something like that and updates will be mandatory. Also, it is speculated that Microsoft will eventually charge you to keep using it.

If you are going to stay being a beta tester for future builds of Window 10, then you will be allowed to keep window 10 but you are required to do any updates pushed to you. If you do not comply, you will be revoked from your Window 10 "beta tester" licence.

dreadloxx

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
"I want to opt out of the Windows Insider Program on 7/29.” If you decide to opt-out of the program and upgrade to the 7/29 build you will be subject to exactly the same terms and conditions that govern the offer* that was extended to all Genuine Windows 7 and 8.1 customers. This is not a path to attain a license for Windows XP or Windows Vista systems. If your system upgraded from a Genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 license it will remain activated, but if not, you will be required to roll back to your previous OS version or acquire a new Windows 10 license. If you do not roll back or acquire a new license the build will eventually expire."
It says not obtaining a license for an xp or Vista build. I have neither, I have no previous OS to roll back to

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
which is why i said you can't have a free "upgrade" since you don't have anything to upgrade installed.

you're only option is like i said, stay a beta tester on win 10 preview or buy a copy of something. either win 7 or 8 to get the upgrade or a copy of win 10 when it goes retail.

If you don't want to be treated as a beta tester, then you will need to buy Windows 10. Although I have Windows 8.1, I will not upgrade it; I will buy Windows 10 and put it on a separate new hard drive instead because I will need to dual-boot my PC for technical reasons. I don't want to be without a properly working OS if Windows 10 crashes or whatever. After all the times my gaming activity has been interrupted due to stupid issues on Windows 8.1, I'll swap OS's during times of need. Windows 10 will be the primary OS and Windows 8.1 will be the secondary OS. Whatever version of Windows 10 you buy depends on your needs. If you need bitlocker encryption and access to Hyper-V for virtual drives, then get Windows 10 Pro. I also heard that Windows 10 Pro will let you defer updates.

Free upgrade if for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, Windows 8 doesn't qualify.

I came across some customers with notebooks running Windows 8, and they couldn't upgrade them to Windows 8.1, due to compatibility, so they are out there oh the humanity!

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
So what really is happening is if you continue using the Technical preview you won't receive a Windows 10 license but you will remain a tester. If you upgrade from Windows 7 or 8.1 you will receive a new license and be able to download the clean install ISO after doing the upgrade.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i believe you get a key from the insider program but you will stay a beta tester.

either way you can always download and install a fresh copy of win 10 from an iso file. they will be available to either type of user. as said before, staying an insider to get a free copy of win 10 is not for everyone. but it is a good way to upgrade and keep your old win 7/8 keys valid if you wish to do so. i want to keep my win 7 legal as long as possible so will dual boot both until closer to the end of the year window to get freebie win 7 upgrade. then i will decide if i am willing to give up my win 7 licenses to get a win 10 key from it.

all a matter of personal opinion and choice.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
Either way you would keep Windows 7 valid. When you do the upgrade to Windows 10 it gets reactivated with a new key. The insider program you is a little different in that it's never upgraded and Windows 10 doesn't become reactivated. If there is a key with the insider program it's a universal key and not tied to a license.

Status
Not open for further replies.