Antec Basiq 350W 8600GTS

hoorhay

Reputable
Sep 9, 2014
What the title says. Would you feel comfortable using a 8600gts video card with an antec basiq series 350 continuous watt psu? Real hard techx says 500W, but after running two different calcs and thinking about appropriate wattage per component, it seems like peak at nominal loads would be about 330-350W.

Of course running that close to the max wattage isn't great on lower end units, I know. But as semi stated above, there will be no overclocking whatsoever. And some minimal gaming.

Rest of the system is stock, one hdd, on cd/dvd, no led fans, three 120mm fans in total. Q9400 at stock of course

Also, not looking for alternative suggestions. This is just the psu I have available at my shop for this particular build

PSU Ratings are their MAX Ratings, so running a 350W PSU at 330-350W all the time is not a good idea. That is like driving your car at the red-line all the time.

For that system I would certainly have a 450W-500W PSU at the minimum. Pushing your system like this could result in permanent damage to multiple components if the PSU fails or is pushed too hard. To me, the risk to is too high. A decent 500W PSU is only $35-$50. The cost of replacing your system is much higher.

This is a quality PSU with a good power rating for your system, only $29.99 after mail-in-rebate: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027