Antec Kühler Vs. Corsair Hydro: Sealed Liquid CPU Coolers Compared

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I bought an H100 and i'm happy with it, doing a moderate overclock, good temperatures and its quiet. Air sure can cool just as well but usually at the cost of the noise and the finer fin air coolers clogs up to easily even with a normal case dust filter compared to the normal radiator. Done several "real" water cooling setups (cpu, gpu, hdd, northbridge+southbridge & mem) in the past and its not worth the hassle to get that extra mile imo.

To me the H100 is a good purchase, run on auto if you want quiet or force it higher if you want to overclock a tad more. You get several choices from the same package.

It seems like another round of Corsair novelty with these coolers.

Why put liquid anywhere near your system when an air cooling solution is just as effective?

Additionally, with these Hxx coolers, they are worth a darn if you don't have two fans blowing in conjunction with the radiator. As a result, there's not even the advantage of a reduction in noise.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
It always makes me laugh when so many people look at these and say 'watercooling' or 'watercooling loop' when it really doesn't fit into that category at all.

I think the results show what we've been saying for a few years now- LCS coolers like these are pretty much novelty when it comes to actual performance. Wake me up when someone at Tom's wants to do an actual watercooling loop with CPU and 2-3 SLI card performance comparisons. Until then, I'll let people go about their business thinking they have something to brag about, when they really don't/

[citation][nom]gti88[/nom]Yeah, and even $40 HR-02 Macho is more preferable than Corsair H80:http://www.xbitlabs.com/picture/?s [...] gr_big.png[/citation]
That's what I'm talking about. Corsair makes good products outside of their coolers which are over-priced novelty items. This gen is no different than the last gen of their LCLCs.

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
First: a criticism of your methodology. In comparing the cooling you only give CPU temperatures, and fail to give any acount of the ambient temperatures in the case. Certainly, CPU temps are the primary target, however, part of the problem with Air/Heatsinks is that they exhaust all of their waste heat into the case, thereby increasing the temperatures for all other components. Part of this criticism also applies to the Corsair models which are supposed to draw air into the case. If the fan configuration is per OEM specs, they too are increasing ambient case temperatures.

Second: you are comparing factory builds, and not modded configurations. While this makes for a fair approach, it ignores the fact that most builders are modders. If, for example, I can use a second fan on the H620 in a push pull configuration and, can plug the fan/pump controller into a mobo header from which I can regulate speed (ehich is what I actually do) then your evaluation is not exactly fair. Further, as you can mod out all of these units with better fans, the comparisons are even more questionable.

Despite the above critique, I think that this article is a very good starting point, and should lead to a Part 2: evaluating these coolers in modded configurations.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
I dunno, was thinking of getting the h100, as I love corsairs products, but the reviews on newegg aren't all that great, lot of reviews of them dying. I think the best option would be custom building your own cooling system.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
I don't understand the conclusion, honestly. So... basically, we got some closed loop "water coolers" running against a mediocre air cooler... and both noise levels, and temps aren't that much better. Yet, cost is considerably higher, and there's more things that can break.

If you gave me a huge pile of cash, ruling cost out as a deciding factor.. and these were my only cooler choices... I'd choose the EVGA cooler. I seriously would.

andywork78

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
Very nice review after i purchase H100.
However price for H80 just pay little more for H100 is better i guess.
What so ever Corsair rock~~

G

I just purchased a H100 and the radiator noise (excluding the two fans that come with the H100) is over-the-top. The sound is similar to a refrigerator hum that is louder than any of my case/video card fans on idle. After reading complaints about the H100 on Corsair's forums there may be a QA issue. I've contacted Corsair customer service and they wanted me to pay shipping on a brand-new product that was defective out of the box. I had to call them before they would relent on the shipping. Now waiting for the replacement to arrive.

It's too bad because I have it installed in a Corsair 500 case which I love. The H100 fits the case perfectly.

tuffjuff

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
[citation][nom]cmcghee358[/nom]I agree 100%. And I do, in fact have an H70. And when I'm at work describing the epic beast of computers I build, and I show off some pics of mine; I always point to the H70 and go "Theres the radiator for the water cooler" /gasp![/citation]

Hahaha and the ladies swoon. :)

I'm be interested in one of these coolers for my SFF Silverstone SUGO2 case, if only because it's proven impossible to find a good cooler that will fit my 1155 build. I've found a couple top-blowing coolers, was really hoping for a side-blowing solution but nothing is short enough, so it just pumps the air around the case.

tuffjuff

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
[citation][nom]tuffjuff[/nom]Hahaha and the ladies swoon. I'm be interested in one of these coolers for my SFF Silverstone SUGO2 case, if only because it's proven impossible to find a good cooler that will fit my 1155 build. I've found a couple top-blowing coolers, was really hoping for a side-blowing solution but nothing is short enough, so it just pumps the air around the case.[/citation]

I forgot to mention the case only has 80mm fan placements, so it just isn't possible to stick a 120mm radiator in there.

KelvinTy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
"most builders don’t pick an enclosure based on its ability to accommodate a really big radiator."
I do think most performance oriented builder do though... Regular know little about oc people would probably don't care, but those who knows what they are doing should.

sempifi99

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
It would have been nice to have a little more information provided in the article. Its good to have straight out of the box performance compared, however I would have liked to see: liquid flow rates for the different pumps, as well as a comparison using an aftermarket thermal paste. I don’t know many enthusiasts who use manufactured supplied pastes unless they explicitly know what they are.

Also the bottom of the H100 and presumably the H80 seem extremely rough when compared to the Antec coolers, or at least that is how they appear in the photograph. I’m surprised that this was not noted on. By addressing the rough plate of the h80 its performance could be improved. However I do feel that if stock thermal paste was removed, and the fans of the coolers were switched to identical aftermarket fans a different picture would be painted.

This article does not address which cooler is right for the enthusiast market; it should have concluded which cooler has the best out of box appeal.

Article grade: C-

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Pump flow is very questionable- even Corsair and Antec do not list this on their own sites. Pump flow is one of the most important selling points for every other pump used in watercooling. I've looked for flow stats on these before and have only seen 1-2 articles from people who have broken them down and done some independent testing...nothing from the actual manufacturers themselves. However, most of us full-watercooling guys don't consider these coolers as watercooling...they are simply an out-of-the-box gimmicky solution that basically 'competes' with good air cooling.

ien2222

Distinguished
[citation][nom]rubix_1011[/nom]Pump flow is very questionable- even Corsair and Antec do not list this on their own sites. Pump flow is one of the most important selling points for every other pump used in watercooling. I've looked for flow stats on these before and have only seen 1-2 articles from people who have broken them down and done some independent testing...nothing from the actual manufacturers themselves. However, most of us full-watercooling guys don't consider these coolers as watercooling...they are simply an out-of-the-box gimmicky solution that basically 'competes' with good air cooling.[/citation]

Flow the most important? Not really, head pressure is just as important, if not more so. If flow was the only consideration you'd see all the modders using aquarium pumps in there systems. However, that's not the case because these loops have a bit of restriction to them and those pumps wouldn't really cool anything because they offer virtually no pressure, just high flow rate.

And I have seen people actually use these systems over at XS as they have a use in certain situations.

Omi3D

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
The pump on the Corsair H60 is the best pump IMHO. I've used the H80 & the H100 in friends and family's SB builds. And still.. The best performance was obtained using an H60 in Push-pull with Low-noise quality fans in the case and radiator. 10-12F below room ambient at idle (17-2600K @ 4.4 Ghz OC). Just under 1 degree or just at ambient room temp under full load (LW 3D render) for 1 hr.

I feel as a mild OC'er.. the CLC's are still the way to go over air (bulk) for LOTS of reasons.

ZakTheEvil

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
I have the Kuhler 620. In two cases I tried, Including Antec 1200 it the radiator obscures the top PCI-e 1x slot on my mobo, the one above the video card. Or if you move it higher then you can't install the fan below it. Also, the pump is audible and a lot more annoying than just a couple of large fans on a big air cooler. The pump also got louder after about 6 months. In the end this wasn't worth it. I wanted to use the top PCI-e slot for a SATA controller and the pump's sound was getting on my nerves. So I went back to Intel stock cooler and the temps aren't that much higher at all. I don't overclock so I guess it was a pointless purchase to begin with. Like someone pointed above: I thought it would be neat to have a water cooled CPU, but like I said the hassle isn't worth it.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I agree that head pressure takes precedence over flow rates; not arguing there. What has been noted by these teardowns is that there is very low flow and minimal head pressure (since the loop is minimal and predetermined by the tubing) there doesn't really need to be a lot of head, here. And since radiators are the least restrictive components, it comes down to flow rates in a simplistic 'loop' like this.

People everywhere use these in certain situations, but the WC'ing guys I know from XS and on OCnet really don't have much use for them outside of simplistic installation and use. We have an argument that discusses this in the watercooling forum if you'd like to join.

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
It's pretty silly to come in here and talk about "real" water-cooling and act as though anyone is claiming these systems are meant to compete with it. They aren't, and I don't think anyone will say they are. Even their staunchest proponents will say they are meant to compete with high-end air-cooling.

My next build will almost certainly use one of these (hopefully even better units will be out in the 2-4 years before I replace my Sandy Bridge system). Moving the fan/radiator off the processor and to the back or top of the case is simply logical: reduced weight on the motherboard, no large heatsink obstructing air-flow into the case, not exhausting the hot air into the case, better access to the motherboard components -- these are all reasons I'm looking to one of these rather than another giant copper heatsink on my CPU.

$30 one-way-or-the-other just isn't that big of a concern to me when I'm spending $1200+ on a build I plan to over clock. Also, as mentioned by another commenter, I wonder what the picture looks like when you replace the factory-applied thermal paste and "mod" one of these with higher-quality fans.

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
Oh and also, the biggest pain on any build I do is generally always installing the CPU cooler; trying to get the spring-loaded fasteners to engage in the backplate around the giant heatsink that would slice my hand open if my grip slipped (or the screwdriver damaging the mobo if it slipped) was by far the worst part of putting together my Sandy Bridge build, and I'd gladly pay the premium just for what looks like much easier/less scary installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.