Antec Sonata Front Panel Audio

I attached the front panel audio connector on my Antec Sonata using the
standard 10-pin Intel connector on my Asus P4P800 motherboard. When I plug
in a set of speakers or headphones to the front audio inputs, and I switch
the audio to the left and right channel, it goes the opposite way.

When I have the speakers/phones hooked up to the REAR motherboard audio
connector everything is fine. Left is left and right is right.

I have tried pulling the 10 pin connector and installing each pin
individually. Same thing. I switched the left to the right connector and
the right to the left and the front panel worked fine, left was left and
right was right. I thought that was the solution but then the back panel
audio was switched around (left was right and right was left). I didn't know
that front and back panel audio were connected somehow. When I pull the
front panel audio connector out altogether I get no sound at all from the
REAR panel audio.

I am using the Asus software driver for their on-board audio and it is
loaded correctly as far as I know. This is a real hair puller but I'm
starting to think that the front panel is mis-wired at the hdphon/spkr
connection itself and a properly wired connector would solve the problem.
Anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

Thanks, Ted

russell

Antec's manual had a misprint regarding the audio pinouts. From Antec
Sonata FAQ:

Question: The audio wiring harness in my Sonata does not match the
description in the manual. How should I connect it?

Answer: Please follow these directions to make your Audio Connection.

There is an Intel standard 10-pin connector (with also 7 individual wires
with individual connectors) attached to a gray wire leading from the front
panel speaker and microphone connection. If your motherboard supports
Intel's standard onboard audio connector, you can plug the 10-pin connector
directly onto the board. For non-Intel standard audio connections, you need
to plug the 7 individual connectors into the motherboard.

Instructions for non-standard audio connections.
1. Locate the internal audio connectors from your motherboard or sound card.
2. Consult your motherboard or sound card manual for the pin-out positions.
3. Microphone Power Pin: Connect the MIC connector to this pin.
4. Microphone Input Pin: Connect the MIC-BIAS connector to this pin.
5. Ground Pin: Connect the AUD GND connector to this pin.
6. Front Right Speaker Out Pin: Connect the FPOUT-R connector to this pin.
7. Front Left Speaker Out Pin: Connect the FPOUT-L connector to this pin.
8. Rear Right Speaker Out Pin: Connect the RET-R connector to this pin.
9. Rear Left Speaker Out Pin: Connect RET-L connector to this pin.
Note: Your motherboard may not support rear speakers output. In this case
you do not need to connect RET-R and RET-L.

--
Russell
http://tastycomputers.com

"Ted Williamson" <TW@netSPAM.net> wrote in message
> I attached the front panel audio connector on my Antec Sonata using the
> standard 10-pin Intel connector on my Asus P4P800 motherboard. When I plug
> in a set of speakers or headphones to the front audio inputs, and I switch
> the audio to the left and right channel, it goes the opposite way.
>
> When I have the speakers/phones hooked up to the REAR motherboard audio
> connector everything is fine. Left is left and right is right.
>
> I have tried pulling the 10 pin connector and installing each pin
> individually. Same thing. I switched the left to the right connector and
> the right to the left and the front panel worked fine, left was left and
> right was right. I thought that was the solution but then the back panel
> audio was switched around (left was right and right was left). I didn't
know
> that front and back panel audio were connected somehow. When I pull the
> front panel audio connector out altogether I get no sound at all from the
> REAR panel audio.
>
> I am using the Asus software driver for their on-board audio and it is
> loaded correctly as far as I know. This is a real hair puller but I'm
> starting to think that the front panel is mis-wired at the hdphon/spkr
> connection itself and a properly wired connector would solve the
problem.
> Anyone have any idea what the problem could be?
>
> Thanks, Ted

I used the 10-pin (which fits and seems to be wired correctly) and tried
individual wires with the same result: switched left and right on front
panel. I even switched around left and right (on the individual wires
method) ad while the front was OK, the back was switched. I'm going to try
the individual wire thing again and see what happens. Thanks for your
response.

Ted
"Russell" <rsullivan@tastycomputersdotcom_replacedotwith"."> wrote in
message news:qPfhc.25622$hw5.40635@attbi_s53...

"Davolt" <DVC@telecom.SPAMNET> wrote in message
> [...]
> > > right was right. I thought that was the solution but then the back
panel
> > > audio was switched around (left was right and right was left). I
didn't
> > know
> > > that front and back panel audio were connected somehow. When I pull
the
> > > front panel audio connector out altogether I get no sound at all from
> the
> > > REAR panel audio.
> > >
> > > I am using the Asus software driver for their on-board audio and it is
> > > loaded correctly as far as I know. This is a real hair puller but I'm
> > > starting to think that the front panel is mis-wired at the hdphon/spkr
> > > connection itself and a properly wired connector would solve the
> > problem.
> > > Anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

sorry the last was from me on another's machine. wonder if it's the software
that might be switching the channels...

Ted

> [...]
> > > Note: Your motherboard may not support rear speakers output. In this
> case
> > > you do not need to connect RET-R and RET-L.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Russell
> > > http://tastycomputers.com
> > >
> > > "Ted Williamson" <TW@netSPAM.net> wrote in message
> the
> > plug
> > switch

> audio

> > and
> > and
> panel
> didn't
> > > know
> the
> > the

I'm
> > > problem.

> sorry the last was from me on another's machine. wonder if it's the

I think I solved this. Instead of using the supplied 10-pin I took the 7
separate pins and hooked up both the back and front panel leads to the
opposite channel on the motherboard. So, back-left wire was attached to the
back-RIGHT mb pin, back-right wire to back-LEFT mb pin, front-right wire
went to front-LEFT mb pin and front-left wire went to front-RIGHT mb pin.
Now when you move the balance button left and right the sound moves to the
left and right properly both at the front panel and back panel. I have
verified that each channel is playing properly compared to my stereo cd
player.

The only thing I can think is that either the wires to connect to the
motherboard were mislabeled (unlikely) or (more likely) that the front
panel was wired exactly opposite as to how it should have been. Of course
it's also possible that, being an idiot, I missed something critical.
Anyway, it all works properly now so I will leave well enough alone.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts