Antec VP700P for gtx970 SLI compatibility

vladie7

Reputable
Jan 23, 2015
Dear Tomshardware members,

I'm planning to build a new gaming pc, with price/performance as a key feature.
With this in mind i'm planning to incoorporate an intel i5 core 4690k cpu together with a gtx970 gpu. Keeping in mind that in the future I would like add a second gtx970 in SLI, more specifically I would like to add a second gtx970 when its price drops and one gtx970 won't suffice anymore to play games at max settings.

Now I would like to ask you guys whether the Antec VP700P ( which is on sale for €60) will suffice for this build and my future perspectives. And whether this is a good PSU, my knowledge in PSUs is rather poor.

Secondly would be a wiser decision to buy a "better" PSU with lower Watt output, and upgrade the psu when I'll buy the second gtx970 or keep my current setup.

If some better performance/value psu's are available ( keep in mind i'm from Europe ), any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thannks in advance !

vladie7

Reputable
Jan 23, 2015

Thank you for you help,

I will definitly look into the evga supernova nex750b, the reason I chose this antec is because I heard that antec makes really good PSUs ...
Never tought that choosing the PSU will be the hardest part of building a PC :)
Would you happen to know some other PSU with an excellent price/performance ratio ?

thanks in advance

I don't think CapXon electrolytic capacitors on both the primary and secondary sides of the Antec VP700P is considered really good, only adequate. It's an old group regulated FSP platform that isn't Intel Haswell Processor Ready.

Don't buy just based on brand name.

The EVGA Nex750B (120-PG-0750-KR) is a discontinued model and has been replaced by the EVGA SuperNOVA 750 B1 (110-B1-0750-VR).

vladie7

Reputable
Jan 23, 2015

Thank you for all the responses,

I'm learning alot in the overwhelming world of psu's.
Now I do understand that I should expect my PSU budget as it is a underated, very import component.
I'm leaning towards the EVGA SuperNOVA B2 (750W) from what I understand it is a newer version of the nex750B. Would you suggest this psu over the nex750B, and would you recommend this PSU in general for my setup ?

thanks in advance,