Antec's HCP 1300 Platinum PSU is Powerful

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 1300 Watt PSU is powerful? Who would have thought.Also, I wish reviewers would elaborate more on efficiency. Way too many people buy power sources because of their magnificent maximum efficiency without regarding the actual load they will submit it to. At under 25% load, power supplies are a lot less efficient, and 1300 Watt PSU may end up operating in that region most of the time.

Kewlx25

Distinguished

Pretty much this ^^

Unless you're running some quad-dual GPU setup with lots of water cooling, there is little way for a modern computer to consume anywhere near 1KW.

Many reviews, including Toms, will show kill-a-watt power usage, and you will see 100watt TDP CPUs coupled with 250watt GPUs, and both overclocked, and the entire system will be pulling less than 300watts at the socket. And that's with synthetic benchmarks which bring out the worst of them both.

Most TDPs are worst case, where everything is taxed to 100%. It's hard to both run the GPU and Memory at 100% because one is normally stalled waiting on the other.

I know TDP is "thermal", but it seems to be closely related to actual power draw and seems to be the value listed.

colinstu

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
A 1300 Watt PSU is powerful? Who would have thought.Also, I wish reviewers would elaborate more on efficiency. Way too many people buy power sources because of their magnificent maximum efficiency without regarding the actual load they will submit it to. At under 25% load, power supplies are a lot less efficient, and 1300 Watt PSU may end up operating in that region most of the time.
You apparently have no idea how the 80 Plus efficiency ratings work. Give this a read. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus#Efficiency_level_certifications To be given any of the certifications 80% is required at 20% and 100% load levels. Also, this can be touted as "powerful" because it's actually a decent PSU that can REALLY deliver what it says it can. Lots of crappy PSUs out there that advertise a wattage and really can't deliver it (either it's 5v wattage increasing this number, or really crappy parts are used and the number is simply unrealistic to what it can deliver). Is this PSU for everyone? No! Is it for even for most of the hardcore gamer market? Still no! It's really only for those with 3-4 cards in SLI/CF, loads of drives/fans/pumps, etc. And even with all that stuff idling it would only use about a quarter of the PSU, but once those parts start using power this PSU will be there help them.

You apparently have no idea of what is written in the power supply's manual. As any power conversion equipment, efficiency is low at lower loads. I never said it wouldn't comply with the standard, what I meant (and wrote, actually), is that the advertised 94% efficiency is very unlikely to be met under realistic usage. 90% is still great, but it is not what is advertised.

Also, as for the "powerful" bit, there's this thing called sarcasm you might want to take a look at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

hannibal

Distinguished
For driving 16 AMD 290X cards at the same time? There allways is people who deeds a lot of power and also those that just want to have the biggest and baddest even they don't need them...For any normal customer... definitely overkill, for serious bit miner, or for some huge home server... maybe big enough... just maybe...

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
LOL!Didnt Tom from OCTV just post a video yesterday basically saying unless you are running a system with like 3 graphics cards then a power supply over 1000 watts is basically useless because it wont be efficient. Most systems only uses about 550 watts anyway so why spend 3x the money for something when you will only use 25% of it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajiN9aVOv4A

I love when i see someone using a 1000 watt power supply with an i5, an AIO cooler with a mid range GPU. It just screams n00b. Ironically, thee are the same people that always complain about the lack of airflow direction on case fans lol.

ram1009

Distinguished

Well, I'm that person and I doubt even you would call me a noob. FYI, I've been specifying power supplies as part of my design job for over 40 of my 67 years. My power supplies don't fail because I don't work them as hard as you (and other more knowledgeable people than I) do. You're entitled to your opinion but you should tell others that it's an opinion as I do. I don't really have the time or inclination to prove my point to people who disagree. After all, it's their money. Sorry if I ruffled any of your "elder" feathers.

weatherdude

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
There's a new 28-pin connector coming? Interesting. So you can connect two of these PSU's together eh? That's a lot of juice that I assume would trip a circuit in a North American household. I think our 120 V circuits are limited to 15 A. Not sure though, never confirmed it.

lp231

Splendid

Yeah and you reign supreme.
The problem with these so call claims, most system only use X amount of wattage at most is, none of the systems is actually running only on that amount, they're mostly running on a PSU with much higher wattage.
Just like graphic card reviews, a GPU only draws about 150w of power, then why is the testbed running that GPU using a 1000w PSU, and not something lower like 430w.

Can't seem to find any info about this new 20+8 MBU connector. Newegg does have a pic of that connector, but the connectors on the PSU itself, none of them is a 20+8 pin. The MB is just 20-pins, while the rest is 5-pins,16-pins, and the OC Link is 2-pins.
This is one has a clear shot of that 20+8 MBU connector cable.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371065
Planning to change my Antec Quattro 850w PSU...
Replace with this Antec HCP Platinum because of this future 20+8 pin MBU connector or get a Corsair AX860i , so I can see the actual amount of wattage I'm currently using with their Corsair software.

Status
Not open for further replies.