Anti-Piracy Measures Via Sound Considered

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

javimars

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
^^ just because you didnt like the movie doesnt mean everyone else hates it too. tell us your favorite movie and see how many of us disagree.if its that easy to be movie stars how come you arent one?

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
That arrest happened at the same theater I went to here in KC. It was a madhouse in general anyway.

Theaters are already struggling as it is but piracy is not the reason. It's high ticket costs, ridiculous food prices and the fact that a lot of people can experience HD, 5.1 or better at home. Nowhere in that list is a shaky cam that's someone off on the screen with people walking in front of you with the colors off. The people watching these vids weren't lost tickets sales. Maybe they would have rented it from Redbox or netflixs but they had no intention of going to the theater.

The few times I do go it's to experience an event like the Dark Knight or a re-release of a classic movie (cause you know that alternate ending of First Blood was so worth it lol)

Maybe if theaters stopped treating their patrons like criminals and cattle to milk, people would come back. Just my opinion though.

etrnl_frost

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
So... family of 5 = ~$100 every time you see a movie.

20 movies and you got yourself a nice home theatre set up with surround and a 52"....

bounty

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Why is it, that a low budget film and a high budget film cost the same to watch? It would be interesting to see how that would sort things out.

I'd watch something like Battlestar Galactica on the big screen every week if the price was right. The theater would make bank on soda. Since the show is already in production, the ticket cost could be 1-2$. If you can have that kind of quality for 2$ regular production movies could as well. Then release them sooner to ABC, CBS and NBC or HBO whatever instead of waiting forever for all of your buzz to die.

roholidays1

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
well I would like to add one thing: usually those who film the movie and post it over the torent do a favour to those in poor countrys of the world. 3-rd world countrys that will not even project that movie there. Think Africa, think Russia, Azerbaigian,China, people who will never pay that huge 8- 9$ and will never afford to purchase a legal copy. People who can afford to pay the tyket usually do, and end up buying the dvd if they consider that movice worthy. Before 1989 in communist countrys all the music, movies from the'80,were banned, there for people smuggled them and multiply them, and they were loaned in citties. Maybe looking to that from today's point of view it isn't legal, but surelly was a good hting to offer to those poor people who lived in terror.
So , I would say that usually who is willing to pay for it , will pay for it if they consider the movie was good. Today's problem is that most of the movies made today, in the US especially, are crappy. Personally I say that if you want a good movie, get one from the 40- 50- 60 even ...You will see real acting there. In comedy, for instance the golden era was in the '30..and even earlyer...

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]This is retarded, I don't know anybody that watches those shitty cams.[/citation]
At most people skim though those cams to see if it's worth watching

G

The Major Studios in Hollywood are already adopting an audio watermarking technology from Verance. This new technology is part of the new AACS copyright management system adopted by Bluray. Some bluray players coming out at the end of the year (including the PS3) will include watermark detection chips that prevents the playback of pirated movies.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
@Anonymous

This is why I wanted HD-DVD to win over Bluray. Sony should not be allowed to control our media (or anything else for that matter). Thankfully I have no intention of ever buying a Bluray player; I'm happy with watching movies on my PC. Now they just need to come out with some kind of site that allows me to download and watch every single movie / TV show ever made for say no more than $20 / month. That would get me to stop downloading.

Status
Not open for further replies.