Discussion Antivirus - Whose reviews do you trust?

johnstac

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
Seems like when I'm looking for reviews of antivirus products, all I see is a boilerplate site from all the big players (pcworld, pcmag, techradar, etc) None seem to agree on who, "the best" is. I have been using Bitdefender for a couple of years and even though it seems to rank high in some reviews, it seems to get in the way a lot on my computer. I have a subscription to Consumer Reports and they have Avast in the top spot. At the same time, I can't find Avast on any sites top ten antivirus. I'm not sure who to believe anymore. Do they all work the same? Should I just be looking to get the cheapest one?

As an aside, I have always used MalwareBytes for their free malware protection but it looks like they also offer an antivirus product for $40 a year. Does anyone use them?

Last edited:

johnstac

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
Sounds like it's unlikely I will find one that stands out from the rest. I'm guessing that they all use the same information for determining a virus. I have also used Norton but it's another one that seems to get in my way. I would like something that is there, but not there if you know what I mean. Tell me when something bad is about to happen but you don't have to block every pop up or identify cookies, etc. Just keep me out of trouble, lol.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I have used Bitdefender for the last few years and its set and forget. How does it get in your way??

Windows defender is getting better but i have seen tests where its not as good as the top 2, Bitdefender and Kapersky. Whether you trust Kapersky or believe the news, its up to you. They are better than Avast (which isn't hard) or Norton...