[SOLVED] antminer s9i bitcoin miner

Feb 24, 2021
hi everyone!

I have been mining bitcoin in my antminer s9i since one year ago and today i decided to clean it, because there was too much dust inside. I cleaned everything, except the thermal paste. After that when I turned it on, it was raising the temperatures to 100 degrees and then it turn off. But this less than 2 min online. The fans seems to be working, because shows in the app that they are at about 4000 rpm and 5000 rpm. I tried to reset and instal everything new but the problem continues. If someone could help me to solve this problem, please say something :) I really don't know what is the problem... everythings seems to be working fine, and the asic is showing the normal green light at the back...

appreciate all help

Solution
hi!

I have solved my problem.

it wasnt due to cleaning. when i removed the fans i didnt know the fan on the back of the machine needs to be placed not for the outside of the machine but the inside. so one of them is for the outside and the another one is placed for the inside to create a airflow in it. the fan that was on the back was placed incorrectly. and the machine didnt dissipate the air and began to overheat .

For the overral i think this machine is a good one for the ones who understand not much about bitcoin and don't have enough power eletricity at home.. this miner needs 1600w and to mine that is not a higher value if you look to other machines. But if you have the possibility to buy a recent one i think is a better...
You may have cracked the thermal paste. I'm not familiar with ant miners but I imagine the TIM dried out and became brittle. As you were cleaning you bumped or shifted that heatsink and cracked the thermal paste. You'll need to replace it.

Going forward you'll want to get some intake filters to keep dust out of the system.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
This might also depend a bit on how it was cleaned...

I haven't personally worked with one of these, but it would appear that airflow moves through a 'tunnel' which is effectively the case shroud? By clearing dust and dirt, did this create a blockage somewhere which would result in compromised airflow or heat dissipation? Ex: heatsinks getting caked with dirt, fan screens getting blocked, etc?

Can any photos be posted of what was done as well as what things look like now?

Random question - how do you like this miner? Looks like it consumes a lot of power, but overall, your thoughts?

Feb 24, 2021
hi!

I have solved my problem.

it wasnt due to cleaning. when i removed the fans i didnt know the fan on the back of the machine needs to be placed not for the outside of the machine but the inside. so one of them is for the outside and the another one is placed for the inside to create a airflow in it. the fan that was on the back was placed incorrectly. and the machine didnt dissipate the air and began to overheat .

For the overral i think this machine is a good one for the ones who understand not much about bitcoin and don't have enough power eletricity at home.. this miner needs 1600w and to mine that is not a higher value if you look to other machines. But if you have the possibility to buy a recent one i think is a better option for you because the power/cost/production is better optimized. After cleaning the machine the noise decreased a lot because the fans were strulling with so much dust inside.

Solution
Feb 24, 2021
I am meaning like ->[]->

the fans come with stickers to identify which part of the fan makes the wind. And I thought the fans would both install themselves with that part out to take the wind out of the machine. but apparently one fan at the front of the machine producing air into the machine and the other is producing wind out of the machine, making an air column. In conclusion, if you an asic you need to place one fan for produce air to outside the machine and the other fan to produce air for inside the machine like this I am meaning like ->[]->

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
OK, so the issue is common with most people in setting up push/pull fan configurations. One fan should push air into one side, the other pulls air out.

It works much the same as a hose carrying water.

If you have a faucet on one end providing water and a nozzle on the other to discharge it, water flows through the pipe or hose.

If you hook up both ends to a faucet, bad things happen in the middle.