Question Any 3D game freezes and crashes past the loading screen in newly built PC [RTX 2060; Ryzen 5 5500]

Aug 9, 2022
Update 8/13/2022

Brought my pc today to a technician, turns out my GPU is defective. They swapped GPUs with theirs and installed my GPU on their pc. Games and furmark ran fine with their GPU on my pc, but their games and furmark kept crashing on their pc with my GPU. Best recommendation they gave was to get the GPU's PCB checked by a specialized technician or buy a new one.

____
My PC was built last 08/06/2022 all with brand new parts. Before this issue, I got to play 10+ hours of Elden Ring, play 12+ hours of Apex Legends, and even got to mod Minecraft to look like the trailer.

Playing any 3D game after the loading screen finishes would result to the screen freezing and eventually the game crashing. I could still run the game and navigate the main menu or go past the title screen but when I try to load into the game world, the game would just freeze and and crash. I initially thought this was an issue with Elden Ring, but as it turns out it affected all 3D games installed on my PC.

This issue happens only to 3D games but not to 2D pixel art games. The games where I tested/experienced this issue are the following:

• Elden Ring - would load me into the game world, but would freeze and crash after a minute or two
  • Apex Legends - after clicking Continue, I am met with a white screen and the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG appears
  • Horizon Chase Turbo - game would freeze after clicking Press Any Key on the title screen
  • Minecraft - title screen would still load, but loading into a world would cause it to crash with exit code -1073740791

• Vampire Survivors - able to start a game and kill a wave, no issues even when pausing/unpausing
  • Garden Story - able to watch intro cinematic and start a new game
Full PC Specs

• BIOS: American Megatrends International, LLC. F15, 07/29/2022*
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500
  • MOBO: Gigabyte B550M DS3H AC
  • GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060 6GB
  • PSU: MSI A650GF 80+ Gold
  • RAM: (16x2) 32gb Team Group Dark Za Alpha DDR4 3200
  • Storage Boot: Samsung 980 M.2 NVME SSD 500GB
  • Storage Gen: Samsung 870 QVO SATA SSD 1TB
Note:

• All drivers updated to the latest versions as this is a newly built PC
  • No overclocking or undervolting done to GPU and/or CPU
  • Not using UPS or AVR
  • Apps running on startup: IDM and Logitech Gaming Software (for my mouse)
  • CPU/GPU Temp (idle): 30-40 C
  • CPU/GPU load (idle): <3% CPU, ~1% GPU
  • All NVIDIA Control Panel are set to default
  • "Automatically optimize newly added games" is checked in Geforce Experience
What I've tried so far, in chronological order:

1. Set Shader Cache Size to "Unlimited" in NVIDIA Control Panel
  2. Turned on/off Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling in Windows Graphics Settings
  3. Turned on/off Game Mode in Windows Games Settings
  4. Clean reinstall of NVIDIA Drivers via NVIDIA installer
  5. Uninstalled NVIDIA Broadcast (as it started causing errors on startup)
  6. Restored settings to Default in NVIDIA Control Panel
  7. Removed and plugged back in the HDMI cord of my monitor
  8. Updated my BIOS*
  9. Rolled back 1 version of NVIDIA GRD Drivers
  10. Switched from GRD to latest SD Drivers, with Clean install via NVIDIA installer
  11. Rolled back 1 version of Windows Update
  12. Re-installed the Windows Update I rolled back
  13. Reinstalled graphics drivers via DDU in Windows Safe Mode
Consulted my PC builder friends any possible solutions, they suggested I reseat my GPU and RAM then check. They also suggested to reinstall the OS if the first solution failed. I'm also planning to undervolt my GPU, as I'm thinking this may be an issue with the GPU and PSU. However, before I try any of these I would like to seek advise for next steps or help with diagnosing the issue.

This is also in reference to a previous issue I had that was fixed by updating the BIOS. The issue stated above is sorta like what was left from the original issue.

Last edited:
Yes, the latest amd chipset driver is installed
https://photos.app.goo.gl/6MMiuf3aoBK5voo56
follow this step by step in order (read till end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall every gpu driver using DDU (clean and do not restart, no need safe mode).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 12 on yours since it's 12 threads, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

• Uninstall AMD Chipset Software in control panel (if there is none, skip it.)

• shut down the PC, disable AMD fTPM and secure boot (if enabled by default), save and exit, go to bios again, reflash to the latest bios (ver F15 with agesa 1.2.0.7), go to bios after finished updating, then load default or optimized settings, enable fastest xmp profile, set RttNom at 7 (or 34ohm), RttWr at 3 (or 80ohm), RttPark at 1~2 (or 240~120ohm), ProcODT at 43.6 or 48, then save and exit.

Optional: disable CSM (should be, by default), enable Above 4G Decoding and Resizable bar option (these 2 options wont be available unless CSM is disabled). If gpu supports, why not XD

• if successful, boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver (should be ver 4.06.10 as the time im writing this), then reboot.

• Install the latest gpu driver, reboot, and then connect to internet.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, put ram on slot A2 and B2 (slot 2 and 4), also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update if there is any and install them (except optional update).

• Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png