[SOLVED] Any advantages in registering Windows?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hi, I bought a boxed version of Windows 10 64 bit Professional In January when I was building a PC. Since I plan to upgrade the ssd, I have not entered the product key yet. I have been using it for 7 months without issue besides that I cannot change the desktop wallpaper. What are other limitations for not entering the product key? If that is the only limitation, perhaps it is a waste of money to buy it.

Solution
Agreed, if you make no major hardware changes (storage drives are a minor change) then you can keep you windows activated.
Personally, I like having an activated windows for the personalization (when not using my PC its more like a digital picture frame), and the knowledge that my license will never be revoked.
Ive had the same one since my OEM win7 install, through many upgrades including a motherboard chance since I registered it to my MS account.

Worth it to you, is well, up to you. It wasnt a great idea to buy it then not use it for 7 months, either buy it and use it right away, or buy it when you need it, no point in having the money tied up and sitting around.
D

Deleted member 14196

if you can stand the limitations you never need to activate it. However, MS could change that policy any time it want's for any reason. So it's good to activate it. If you bought it boxed, you can activate it.

Reactions: modeonoff
Agreed, if you make no major hardware changes (storage drives are a minor change) then you can keep you windows activated.
Personally, I like having an activated windows for the personalization (when not using my PC its more like a digital picture frame), and the knowledge that my license will never be revoked.
Ive had the same one since my OEM win7 install, through many upgrades including a motherboard chance since I registered it to my MS account.

Worth it to you, is well, up to you. It wasnt a great idea to buy it then not use it for 7 months, either buy it and use it right away, or buy it when you need it, no point in having the money tied up and sitting around.

Solution

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
I've been using it unactivated for a year or so (it's not the easiest thing to get a key here, I'm saving up though) and you can change the wallpaper using programs (if you're keen on animated wallpapers there's Wallpaper Engine on Steam) only thing I hate is that I cannot switch to cmd from powershell (yes, I know ps is better but I am used to cmd okay?)as a default.