[SOLVED] Any advices in terms of upgrade, with an "ASUS H61M-A" mobo in place?

moonshnr

Prominent
Jul 22, 2019
My current specifications are as follows:
  • Intel Core i3 3220 @ 3.30GHz
  • Kingston HyperX Fury 4gigs DDR3
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 630
  • ASUS H61M-A mobo
I plan to upgrade this system with a budget of $200. I would prefer to upgrade its CPU, GPU and extend the current amount of RAM to 8 gigs, by purchasing another, identical model as I currently have, so as to double its amount. With my $200 budget, as well as my current mobo's capacity in account, what components would you advise I purchase? As for the CPU, by the way, the game I currently play is run worst on AMD cards, as far as I know, which may be another factor. I myself had a GIGABYTE GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 64bit in mind, although again, I'm as clueless as to how much my old mobo can handle, as I am to the entire upgrading process, unfortunately.

Reactions: Fremy
Solution
Firstly, I think the GPU should be the first component that you need to change since it is really not good for gaming. I assure you, you will definitely see the performance difference when you get a better card.

Secondly, you need a RAM upgrade as you said. 4GB is not enough for the most of the games. At least you should have a 8 GB RAM total but in your situation, you can add a 8 and have a total 12. It's up to you. If you think you will need more in the future you better get a 8GB. If you get a 4GB and need more in the future you will need to remove one of the 4+4's since your motherboard has two RAM slots. You need to make a decision now.

Finally, CPU should be the third/last component that you need to change out of these three. It...

Fremy

Reputable
Jul 3, 2020
Firstly, I think the GPU should be the first component that you need to change since it is really not good for gaming. I assure you, you will definitely see the performance difference when you get a better card.

Secondly, you need a RAM upgrade as you said. 4GB is not enough for the most of the games. At least you should have a 8 GB RAM total but in your situation, you can add a 8 and have a total 12. It's up to you. If you think you will need more in the future you better get a 8GB. If you get a 4GB and need more in the future you will need to remove one of the 4+4's since your motherboard has two RAM slots. You need to make a decision now.

Finally, CPU should be the third/last component that you need to change out of these three. It is not that bad but it is not that powerful either. Also you can pair it with more powerful cards than GT 1030. Do not worry, your CPU can handle it.

What about your Power Supply? Will it be enough for the new graphic card?

If you want to get a GT 1030, you do not have to change your CPU since there will not be a bottleneck also your PSU could meet the power requirements which means that probably you do not have to change your PSU either. GT 1030's power consumption is very low but still, it would be better if you share your PSU's brand and model just in case.

In my opinion, you just need to a RAM and a GPU upgrade. Your CPU can handle for a few years with a GPU and RAM upgrade. Spend your money on a better card. It would be best.

Also, what resolution are you playing at? 720p, 900p or 1080p?

Last edited:
Reactions: moonshnr
Solution

moonshnr

Prominent
Jul 22, 2019
Hey Fremy!
I really appreciate your reply. Unfortunately I failed to find the details of my power supply digitally, and I'm currently unable to check the hardware itself, however, I do recall picking what you'd call a decent enough power unit for this specific build back in 2014. I would have to see their prices to determine if I could squeeze it into the upgrade, should any new component you advise require it.

Fremy

Reputable
Jul 3, 2020
Hello!

If you want to get a GT 1030 and a new RAM, I am pretty sure your PSU can handle it.

Since GT 630's power consumption is low (GT 1030's consumption is lower tho), there is a possibility that your PSU is 300 or 350W. Which is pretty enough for GT 1030 but maybe can not handle a card that has a higher power consumption. If you want to buy a better card than GT 1030, it really would be better if I know what your PSU is just in case.

If you can not check the hardware I can only make assumptions. I think your PSU can even handle a GTX 1050 TI without a problem but I need to be sure before I advise you anything.

Last edited:

moonshnr

Prominent
Jul 22, 2019
Hey I managed to get in there and it said 460W for total power. I hope it's sufficient enough for the GT 1030, seeing as it's already a huge step forward from my rusty old GT 630. I'm still contemplating as to how to upgrade my RAM, the info you told me about it, with regards to my motherboard, was new. Now I know it's two slots I'm working with.

moonshnr

Prominent
Jul 22, 2019
Could it also handle a total of 12 gigs of RAM? And lastly, could my current 4gig card co-exist with a foreign 8 gig card next to it, possibly of a different manufacturer? This would be my last question before making the purchase. Also I’m glad to learn that these two types of components aren’t that difficult to install, they should both snap into place..in theory, so I’ll get to save costs on assembly.

Fremy

Reputable
Jul 3, 2020
Of course it can handle. RAMs do not consume much.

There should not be a problem as long as their MHz, CL, DDR and V values are same. You can get detailed info about your RAM on "CPU-Z".

Yes, installing a RAM module is very easy. We can say that for a GPU too. In fact building a pc is like solving a puzzle. You just need to install the component on the right place.

Reactions: moonshnr

moonshnr

Prominent
Jul 22, 2019
Having said all of the above, which I highly appreciate from the both of you, I will most probably order the following items:
  • GIGABYTE GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 64bit
  • HyperX FURY 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
(although I remember my current 4 gig card being 1333MHz which I hope it won’t be an issue)
If you guys could lastly give your blessings on this upgrade, I’d make the purchase right away.