Question Any Asus PRIME AP201 builders out there??

wolter.jeremy

Honorable
Nov 20, 2017
So I think I've settled on the AP201 for my next build and one question I have is if I get a modest sized ATX or SFX power supply can you squeeze an extra 120mm fan up front or is it completely not compatible

May 17, 2023
Up front? No, not a chance sadly. But if you're using an AIO, which I think is the best option for this case, you don't need a fan upfront.

The GPU gets fresh air from the bottom, and you should put the AIO as intake to the top so the CPU will also get fresh air. The exhaust fan at the rear should be enough. The case is pretty meshed, so positive air pressure inside will have no problem getting out, and will keep dust off.

The case is amazing. Very easy to cable manage for a compact case, it supports a lot of the last gen GPUs, and looks amazing. I have never built a computer in my life, and it took me only a few hours to get the PC up and running.

One important warning though, if you're planning to use SATA SSDs or HDDs, make sure your PSU comes with linear power cables, not 90* ones. The SATA Drive mounts of the case are all incompatible with angled cables, and will only work with linear ones. I had to flip my SSD's and use cable ties to keep them in place, because my PSU only had angled SATA power cables.

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
M-atx or itx is your only mobo choice a 360 top mounted rad is great a arctic freezer ii fits fine even with its thicker rad ..
the psu power cable plug can get a little tight ( i had issues with my hx1000 psu it is longer though )
be aware i was squeezing my 6900xt red devil in there and the 7900xtx wouldnt fit 6900xt was 320mm the 7900xtx is 350mm ( due to psu location )
ive got the all mesh one but they have just done the TG glass version in both black and white !!

May 17, 2023
the 7900xtx wouldnt fit 6900xt was 320mm the 7900xtx is 350mm ( due to psu location )
There were even 4090 models that fit, but you should definitely check the length, because not every model fits as you said. I'm using a Sapphire Pulse 7900XT and it fits so easily as its only 313mm in length.

I'd also recommend against a 360mm rad if possible, because with that you need to put the PSU to lower positions, which makes both GPU and power cable clearances hard to work with. 7600X with a 240mm AIO works absolutely amazing for me.

Using a smaller ATX PSU if possible makes everything easier as well.

I just love that you can use almost full size components and still carry the case under your arm easily. It's a very good middle ground.

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
There were even 4090 models that fit, but you should definitely check the length, because not every model fits as you said. I'm using a Sapphire Pulse 7900XT and it fits so easily as its only 313mm in length.

I'd also recommend against a 360mm rad if possible, because with that you need to put the PSU to lower positions, which makes both GPU and power cable clearances hard to work with. 7600X with a 240mm AIO works absolutely amazing for me.

Using a smaller ATX PSU if possible makes everything easier as well.

I just love that you can use almost full size components and still carry the case under your arm easily. It's a very good middle ground.
ive since over killed with as my sig says a 420mm arctic but im using a thermaltake ceres 500 case now ..
had it my way id go back to my lian li o11 air mini or my Nr200p max both amazing cases ..

Since the op has not given us much on whats getting put in there still have to look at the fundamentals any thing 7900xtx you really need a 1000w psu a 7600 will be fine with a 240 but the 7600x i could only manage to keep it at 85c with the 420mm arctic..
unless you go a sfx ( from memory can be used ?? ) then your limited with that psu location for anything to long gpu wise !!

my issue with it was the gpu wouldnt fit and i was predicting that the 7800x3d was going to be a hot little cpu hence the 420mm ..

also sfx with the 7900xtx red devil ummm yeah not many 1000w sfx psu ( silverstone is one ) and i like my corsair products so it was a ( in the end ) find a case that will do it all hence the ceres 500 !

But the asus prime ap 2001 is a decent smaller formfactor case !!

May 17, 2023
still have to look at the fundamentals any thing 7900xtx you really need a 1000w psu
850W is more than enough, if you're not using a top tier CPU.

7600x i could only manage to keep it at 85c with the 420mm arctic..
I was having around 92-94 at cinebench multicore and around 70-75 while gaming with a 240, but I optimized the PBO curve and put a 75W limit, I get the same single and multi core scores with only 65-70 degrees now. Won't even go higher than 55 during gaming. I was a bit lucky with the CPU though, my silicon handled -30 Curve with no problems at all.

The case definitely needs some compromises and careful planning though, you're right. It's also not the best for CPUs that require more cooling. The X3D's or something like an i9, 7950X etc would be too much probably.

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
850W is more than enough, if you're not using a top tier CPU.

I was having around 92-94 at cinebench multicore and around 70-75 while gaming with a 240, but I optimized the PBO curve and put a 75W limit, I get the same single and multi core scores with only 65-70 degrees now. Won't even go higher than 55 during gaming. I was a bit lucky with the CPU though, my silicon handled -30 Curve with no problems at all.

The case definitely needs some compromises and careful planning though, you're right. It's also not the best for CPUs that require more cooling. The X3D's or something like an i9, 7950X etc would be too much probably.
7800x3d you could use a 360mm then could be issues with fitting other components ..
maybe with some investigating i could go a sfx psu with a 360mm on the 7800x3d and still squeeze my 7900xtx red devil in there !!
we know the ZEN 4 cpu's are ment to boost to 95c so its not a totally bad situation
my 7600x ( stock no OC no PBO tune ) wouldnt go over 85c all core cinebench R23 with the 420mm .

the 7800x3d wont go over 75c all core cinebench r23

As for psu i like to over kill them the corsair hx 1000 80 platinum rated ensures im way over needed wattage for the system !!

Also for my 1000w psu ive used it for a few systems now upgrades and what not if tomorrow i decided to go a 13900k and a 4090 the 1000 watt would do the job so somewhat future proofing ..

just annoying to me when people want these whiz bang systems but completely forget the most important thing then wonder why there is issues !!

Last edited:
Reactions: holywitcherofrivia

TRENDING THREADS