Question Any chance coil whine is harmful?

Spacekeleton

Commendable
Jan 30, 2022
So, I built my PC like 3 years ago and for all this time I had coil whine which I was managing to more or less reduce in games via tweaking graphics settings, but I hit a wall with newly-released Spacemarine 2 and I'm getting noticeable noise which does not go away no matter what I do, except for setting FPS lock to 30, but it is a torture to use that low amount of frames.

Whine only sounds with lower and lower frequency if I lower graphics settings or rendering type, but still stays.

So I wonder, is it possible that it may lead to harm in any way? Or is it just getting on people's nerves and I can ignore it since I use headphones?

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

Just an FYI, if you stand next to a transformer, you'll hear a whine/buzz/noise from the unit. The same thing is happening inside a PSU and can also happen around the rear or front of the GPU as well as the VRM area of the CPU socket.

You might want to narrow down the source of the noise. Use an A4 sheet of paper, roll it up into a cylinder and then hold one end to your ear while the other end is used to probe for the source of the noise.

Another point to note, does your platform's performance drop with regards to coil whine?

Reactions: CountMike