[SOLVED] Any change in the BIOS is not getting saved.

Oct 27, 2017
My specs are:
Ryzen 5 1600 which I usually have at 3.7 Ghz stable
16 GB ram @3200 Mhz corsair vengeance
MSI B450M GAMING PLUS
ZOTAC GTX 1660 SUPER
Thermaltake 500 WATT PSU

So I was playing csgo today when my pc froze randomly which doesn't ever happen normally unless I have an unstable overclock and I had the same overclock for 1 year. Didn't think much of it at that time and restarted the pc by holding the power button but it again froze after maybe 15-20 mins. After finishing the game I went to my BIOS to see if there was something wrong but it froze again in the BIOS which is bizarre and since then any changes I make in the BIOS simply doesn't save. After I press save and reset changes, my pc tries to restart but shuts down all of a sudden (which never happened before) after it shuts down it restarts again but none of what I tried to save in the BIOS is applied. Even my RAM shows up as 7.9 GB and 8.1 in hardware reserve in the task manager and it is running at 2133mhz so even the xmp profiles are not being saved and applied. Same with any cpu frequency changes after saving it tries to restart but fails then just completely ignores all the settings in the next restart.

Solution
How many sticks? 2 8gbs? Try switch them around, reseating them in the process.

Sometimes ram just needs to be reseated. Has happened to me, with ram in reserve. But never have i seen bios freeze so possibly too that one of the sticks has gone bad. If so, try each separately and usb boot memtest to check them.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Sometimes ram just needs to be reseated. Has happened to me, with ram in reserve. But never have i seen bios freeze so possibly too that one of the sticks has gone bad. If so, try each separately and usb boot memtest to check them.

Reactions: ashutoshmohapatra64
Solution
Oct 27, 2017

The weird thing is it is detecting both the ram slots are filled and there are 16 gigs of ram in total.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
The weird thing is it is detecting both the ram slots are filled and there are 16 gigs of ram in total.

Unstable system, motherboard resetting / not saving memory settings is mostly due to ram.

You said this initially.

Even my RAM shows up as 7.9 GB and 8.1 in hardware reserve

Still try swap sticks around and see what happens if you can then set xmp. If not then try each separately.

Ram should be in 2nd and 4th (a2 / b2) slots from cpu. Single stick operation using a2.

Cpu-> a1 | a2 | b1 | b2 -> edge of board. Ryzen wont run xmp speeds with a1/ b1 slots populated.

Oct 27, 2017
I took out 1 stick of ram and placed it in again and it worked, now the BIOS changes are saved. Not sure about the random freezing though that happened before the BIOS fiasco can only hope that too is fixed. Thank you for helping @boju ,
I tried to replicate what happened to understand the problem better and apparently even when I move the cabinet by a little the problem occurs again and goes away when I reseat the ram sticks.

Oct 27, 2017
What kind of drives are you using? Could be if using hdds, slight vibrations/ bumps, if case is on desk, could cause system to freeze. An ssd would fix that if that were the case.
I have my OS on a m.2 SSD and games on hard disks. Now that you mention it one of the hard disks in my pc is making noise probably because it is quite old.