Question Any cheap and easy way to isolate PC speaker interference?

TheShadowGamer06

Reputable
May 21, 2017
[Moderator edit to break up solid paragraph format.]

Hello everyone, I am no audio engineer but have been having problems with speakers with my setup.

My Creative A250s subwoofer has been going off when it's not supposed to, i think it's referred to as popping. Anyways, I moved my speakers away from my desk and plugged them into a different outlet and the subwoofer stopped popping.

There's also decent interference wherever the speakers are. I bought new Creative Pebble speakers with the sub woofer and that subwoofer did the exact same thing and it's powered via USB, does the popping sounds.

I moved them downstairs and plugged them into my laptop and the popping stopped, so I think it's something with my computer causing interference. I read somewhere that someone's GPU caused interference so could that be happening to me?

If so I'm not getting rid of my 3070. I'm probably going to return those and just deal with my A250s for now, but my main question is would getting a ferrite choke do anything to help reduce interference? Is there anything else I could do to reduce interference?

I also have a UPS and was wondering if I could plug my speakers into there as well. It's frustrating because I shouldn't have to do anything extra to eliminate interference, that should be done for me already by the manufacturer.

I'm not spending extra money on stupid crap just to eliminate interference, but if there's cheap solutions then I will try them. I know interference is immenent but I'm pretty sure some of the solutions could be done already by the manufacturer and implement better shielding/using ferrite chokes or whatever it may be to reduce interference.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
What PSU you have? Since when it is high on EMI side (electromagnetic interference), it isn't the speaker manufacturer's job to make their speakers EMI resistant. Instead, it's the PSU's manufacturer's job to make their PSUs with better/lower EMI rating.

I also have a UPS and was wondering if I could plug my speakers into there as well.

Yes, speakers are fine to be plugged into UPS, since they doesn't produce high power-on spikes, like printers do. Though, full list of forbidden hardware in your UPS manual.