Question Any downsides using memory context restore on X670E platform?

Hey there guys,

I didn't manage to find nor Google this one out. Are there any performance or other downsides at enabling memory context restore ?

I've had my pre-boot to POST time around a minute on my X670E Gene paired with 7950X3D and Corsair Dominator 6000/30 2 x 32GB mem. modules. With disabled memory context restore and memory power down feature, I'm currently on 4 - 5 seconds [!!!] sporting newest official/stable BiOS/UEFi 1807 with AGESA combo AM5 PI 1.1.0.1 from getting from preboot initialization to POST/Windows boot.

So long story short, I like it disabled, but...are there any downsides? I mean I turn on the PC once a day, so it's no big deal to wait for the memory training, if it helps somehow in either performance, or life-span wise to the computer.

Thank You and I stay with best regards

uplink

Last edited:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I am completely unfamiliar with these features, so will look at my X670 rig to play with those later.

I've been experimenting with LLMs recently so thought I would toss this topic to Google's Bard.

This is that response:

**Here's a breakdown of the functions and impacts of Memory Context Restore (MCR) and Memory Power Down (MPD) features in AMD X670 motherboards:**

**Memory Context Restore (MCR):**

**Function:**

- Preserves memory settings (timings, voltage, etc.) during system shutdown or power loss.
- Allows faster boot times by skipping memory training on subsequent boots.

**Impacts of Disabling:**

- **Slower boot times:** System will need to retrain memory on every boot, potentially adding several seconds.
- **Potential stability issues:** In rare cases, disabling MCR can lead to system instability or memory errors.

**Memory Power Down (MPD):**

**Function:**

- Reduces power consumption by powering down DRAM modules when not in use.
- Can slightly lower overall system power draw.

**Impacts of Disabling:**

- **Minimal impact on performance:** Disabling MPD might result in very slightly higher power consumption, but the performance impact is typically negligible.
- **Potentially useful for overclocking:** Overclockers sometimes disable MPD to ensure maximum memory stability during stress testing or benchmarking.

**Additional Considerations:**

- **BIOS version:** MCR and MPD behaviors can vary depending on motherboard model and BIOS version.
- **Compatibility:** Not all memory kits fully support MCR. Check your motherboard's QVL (Qualified Vendor List) for compatible memory.
- **Stability:** If you encounter stability issues with MCR enabled, consider disabling it or adjusting memory settings.
- **Power savings:** MPD's power savings are often minor, so consider your priorities between power consumption and potential performance impacts.

**Recommendations:**

- For most users, it's generally recommended to leave MCR enabled for faster boot times and potential stability benefits.
- Disabling MPD is usually unnecessary unless you're concerned about maximizing memory stability for overclocking.
- If you experience any issues, consult your motherboard's manual or contact support for specific guidance.

This info seems contrary to what is being experienced. Have any of these potential issues popped up?

Reactions: uplink-svk
@COLGeek thank You kindly for Your summary, this really helped me. No, I had no issues, and I already fixed my typo. I mean I enabled them both, not disabled, they were set on auto and disabled, or auto and auto by default.

I was afraid, that there were some downsides in enabling both MCR and MPD, but from Your beautiful summary, I'm kind of missing a point in need of enabling these two functions at all. I think they should be enabled by default in BiOS/UEFi.

I wondered whether there were some compatibility issues, or it is something new, so it's being kept on auto/disabled, or auto/auto due to legacy structure of BiOS/UEFi, and/or previously used settings.

My system runs smoothly now for the third day since I enabled both MCR and MPD and I'm super happy with this build. It's AMD, so I didn't expect this little issues I have [sometimes my system freezes a little at startup for few seconds [5 - 10 tops], but that's that]. I'm trained and predisposed to a a full disaster mode with AMD products, but when You give them a year, or two to mature and ripen, they seem to work just fine.

The reason why I'm on AMD now is, that I had massive issues with Intel for the past 3 generations [Z690 Apex - faulty boards that were made for the first quarter after its release], Z790 Apex - no issues, just boring platform and tons of memory tuning [crunched through 3 memory kits], Z790 Apex Encore - Armoury Crate didn't update, at all, couldn't set my lights to my beloved orange/gold, this is where I lost it and went for "old" AMD and I'm not even mad.

Last edited: