Any European service with Verizon?

Is there any Verizon service in Europe? Just wondering... I guess
most of the service there is GSM correct? Or is it really all?

ap

In article <lhkr705oqoju5b6h2pe3pibas9u80jr12g@4ax.com>,
noemail@thanks.com says...
> Is there any Verizon service in Europe? Just wondering... I guess
> most of the service there is GSM correct? Or is it really all?

yeap... in Europe you have GSM and DCS. Do not think that Verizon has
any roaming agreements signed in Europe (event than you would have to
have special phone). Thats disadvantage of CDMA :(

AP

AP <cat@eveningstar.dyndns.org> wrote:
> In article <lhkr705oqoju5b6h2pe3pibas9u80jr12g@4ax.com>,
> noemail@thanks.com says...
>> Is there any Verizon service in Europe? Just wondering... I guess
>> most of the service there is GSM correct? Or is it really all?
>>
> yeap... in Europe you have GSM and DCS. Do not think that Verizon has
> any roaming agreements signed in Europe (event than you would have to
> have special phone). Thats disadvantage of CDMA :(

Look up the International Traveler plan on the website. They have you rent
a GSM phone and you forward your US number to it. Roaming is probably provided
by Vodafone, the minority owner of VZW.

> Look up the International Traveler plan on the website. They have you rent
> a GSM phone and you forward your US number to it. Roaming is probably provided
> by Vodafone, the minority owner of VZW.

http://www.vzwrentinternational.com/

The phones are provided by a Vodafone reseller. It is $3 a day to
rent a phone ($149 to buy outright). Calls are $1.49 per minute
in Britain. Long distance is even included :) [You can fit
the whole of the British landmass, Northern Ireland and all the
islands in two thirds of California]

It isn't clear if there are charges to receive calls. (In Britain
and many other countries receiving calls doesn't incur any expense
for the person receiving them).

Roger

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 01:18:07 GMT, AP <cat@eveningstar.dyndns.org>
wrote:

>In article <lhkr705oqoju5b6h2pe3pibas9u80jr12g@4ax.com>,
>noemail@thanks.com says...
>> Is there any Verizon service in Europe? Just wondering... I guess
>> most of the service there is GSM correct? Or is it really all?
>>
>yeap... in Europe you have GSM and DCS. Do not think that Verizon has
>any roaming agreements signed in Europe (event than you would have to
>have special phone). Thats disadvantage of CDMA :(
>

>AP

Coo, thanks. Yes, I figured that but uthen again, you can always rent
or of course get pre-paid in Europe which I've read about in a travel
book. I'm going to Europe later this year, but still haven't gotten
down exactly what I'm doing about the phone.

I'll hop onto a website to see now.

ap

In article <RJydnTz9Ie6VdeDdRVn-sQ@lmi.net>, sjsobol@JustThe.net says...
> AP <cat@eveningstar.dyndns.org> wrote:
> > In article <lhkr705oqoju5b6h2pe3pibas9u80jr12g@4ax.com>,
> > noemail@thanks.com says...
> >> Is there any Verizon service in Europe? Just wondering... I guess
> >> most of the service there is GSM correct? Or is it really all?
> >>
> > yeap... in Europe you have GSM and DCS. Do not think that Verizon has
> > any roaming agreements signed in Europe (event than you would have to
> > have special phone). Thats disadvantage of CDMA :(
>
> Look up the International Traveler plan on the website. They have you rent
> a GSM phone and you forward your US number to it. Roaming is probably provided
> by Vodafone, the minority owner of VZW.

well.. I think that prepaid option is much better idea. Anyway ... you
do not want to pay for incoming transatlantic calls :)

AP

AP <cat@eveningstar.dyndns.org> wrote:

> well.. I think that prepaid option is much better idea. Anyway ... you
> do not want to pay for incoming transatlantic calls :)

Prepaid will be much less expensive. International Traveler is a good option
if you must be reachable at your US number, however. If you don't care, prepaid
is definitely the way to go.

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 21:47:58 -0500, Steven J Sobol
<sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:

>AP <cat@eveningstar.dyndns.org> wrote:
>
>> well.. I think that prepaid option is much better idea. Anyway ... you
>> do not want to pay for incoming transatlantic calls :)
>
>Prepaid will be much less expensive. International Traveler is a good option
>if you must be reachable at your US number, however. If you don't care, prepaid
>is definitely the way to go.

Awesome guys, thanks for your help. Ya, I found this website and am
putting some stuff together. http://www.telestial.com/

My gf just spent ten days in italy and just used a prepaid calling card.
rather than rent a cell. There are pay phones all over the place and you can
use them in the hotel. Worked out cheaper than renting a cell. she uses only
a cell in the us but like i said it worked better with the calling card.
depends if you actually have the need for a cell or just random calls. i
used at&t prepaids off of ebay and they even have voicemail now...

as per phone, buy one with a sim card, then resell the phone when you get
back home if you arent traveling abroad much. I think it would be cheaper to
buy and resell than to rent. certain sites will overnight the phone to you
and depending where you are going incomming calls are free.

brian s.

"Parev" <noemail@thanks.com> wrote in message
> Is there any Verizon service in Europe? Just wondering... I guess
> most of the service there is GSM correct? Or is it really all?

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 02:56:59 -0400, "Brian S."
<deadhead73@comcast.net> wrote:

>My gf just spent ten days in italy and just used a prepaid calling card.
>rather than rent a cell. There are pay phones all over the place and you can
>use them in the hotel. Worked out cheaper than renting a cell. she uses only
>a cell in the us but like i said it worked better with the calling card.
>depends if you actually have the need for a cell or just random calls. i
>used at&t prepaids off of ebay and they even have voicemail now...
>
>as per phone, buy one with a sim card, then resell the phone when you get
>back home if you arent traveling abroad much. I think it would be cheaper to
>buy and resell than to rent. certain sites will overnight the phone to you
>and depending where you are going incomming calls are free.
>
>brian s.
>
>"Parev" <noemail@thanks.com> wrote in message
>> Is there any Verizon service in Europe? Just wondering... I guess
>> most of the service there is GSM correct? Or is it really all?

Yup, sounds like pre-paid is really the most economical thing to do
out there. I wanna do some road-trips, so I'll probably buy a phone
out there because the ones at the telestial site are priced
astronomically.

Parev <noemail@thanks.com> wrote in

> Is there any Verizon service in Europe? Just wondering... I guess
> most of the service there is GSM correct? Or is it really all?

http://www.vzwrentinternational.com/

Doug

TRENDING THREADS