Question ANY external enclosure compatible with Samsung 870 QVO 8TB SSD?????

cmw_a1

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
I purchased a Samsung 870 QVO 8TB SSD and SEVERAL external enclosures that claim to be compatible but are not. This is a SATA 2.5 inch form factor.

I can only get the drive to work in TWO ways.
  1. Install it internally into a laptop or desktop and the entire capacity is recognized. I can read/write to it just fine.
  2. I have a few of these external pigtails and they work just fine. Of course I tried ordering a Sabrent enclosure once I saw these work for me but those were a no-go as well. I want something more permanent than this pigtail to house the drive. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sabren...-black/6521020.p?skuId=6521020&ref=NS&loc=101

Any VERIFIED options that will take an 8TB SSD? I would prefer USB-C connectivity but honestly I have tried like 5x different ones that all say they will work so just want something that will work at this point.

Conor

cmw_a1

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
I went ahead and ran Crystal Disk Info with the drive in a non-working enclosure. That program sees it just fine and says all is well. I can see some of the SMART data.

Windows on the other hand doesn't. I put it back on the pigtail and just deleted all the partitions and restored it to factory. I thought maybe partitioning under Windows using the non-working enclosure would fix it if it was a cluster size issue. Even with no partition at all on the drive, Windows sees a 2048GB GPT protected partition and the rest as unallocated. It is obviously some type of limitation between Windows and the interface of the enclosure since the pigtail I have works just fine.

Conor

If you examine the drive with DMDE, you will see the number of sectors. This number will differ by a factor of 8 between the 512B and 4KB USB adaptors. Either you use one adaptor or the other and then stick with it -- you cannot subsequently see the file system via the other adaptor.

cmw_a1

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
If you examine the drive with DMDE, you will see the number of sectors. This number will differ by a factor of 8 between the 512B and 4KB USB adaptors. Either you use one adaptor or the other and then stick with it -- you cannot subsequently see the file system via the other adaptor.
I will look into this. I plugged the SSD into the working pigtail and deleted all the partitions, hoping that would solve this if I repartitioned it using a new enclosure. I am fine with keeping it in one enclosure forever unless it becomes an internal drive in the future. My plan was to put it in an enclosure and forget about opening it.

I have several of these pigtails and have used at least two. Both work just fine but any of the other enclosures do not. I even ordered one from Sabrent because that pigtail is the only way I can get it to work externally but the newer product from this brand didn't help.

I just tried DMDE on the "non-working" adapter and it sees it as 8TB. I can also see the remains of the partition I deleted and the data it used to contain. I didn't bother to TRIM the drive. Is there some type of hard reset I need to do on this drive to allow it to work?

Conor

DMDE will see the full capacity in all cases. Only the number of sectors will differ.

The Partitions tab will show the first and last sectors of the physical drive in the top line. This will be 0 - 15628053167 for a 512B adaptor, and 0 - 1953506645 for a 4KB adaptor.