Any FPS(First Person Shooter) game in which a girl as main character?

kmr1154

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2012
Hello friends

I may be crazy asking this but is there any FPS game in which s girl as main character? I mean like Battlefield series or COD series, all series have boys,. Please don't take me the wrong way, it is just i am bored of playing FPS as boys as character.

Regards!!

Solution

for an fps, what difference does it make, you can't see yourself, your only job is to shoot people. How would being a female character make it more interesting, how could it possibly effect gameplay in an fps. Especially given the concept of equality. For RPG's I can see there being different dialogue options, different character attributes, weight limits, costs,

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
I don't believe any of the modern shooters set in the realistic mode offer female characters, but the reasons are pretty obvious. The vast majority of the playerbase is male, leading to it potentially being a waste of coding time vs. profit (hard to believe if you crunched the numbers, but for the sake of argument). Secondly, shooting women is just kind of seen as generally distasteful. If you think about it, there are very few games where you actually kill females. You could delve into the male psyche and come up with some interesting ways to expound that concept further, but you get the drift.

Of modern games that involve shooting at all (albeit not first person exactly), Mass Effect series is a cover shooter that does offer you the option of playing as a female version of the protagonist.

Edit: I believe in Syndicate co-op mode you can play as a female.

kmr1154

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2012
Thanks for your answer @casualcolors i appreciate it, you are completely right but women can do anything that men can do. There could be an option in in gaming where we could select whether we want to play as man or female,, by this whosoever want to play as male or female could play however wants.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

Be that as it may, it still doesn't change the fact that men dislike seeing women get shot up on a deep psychological level. That is why you probably won't see women avatars in realistic multiplayer titles like COD or Battlefield anytime soon. The negative press and a likely revisiting of the same kind of "violent video game" legal proposals that you might remember from the mid-90's is reason enough not to go there for most any publisher.

waspzz

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
The most recent game that I can remember is Mirrors Edge though shooting is not the main focus of the game. The only pure shooter I can remember was The Operative 1 and 2. Really nice games but very old. =)

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

Mirror's Edge is a pretty cool game but like you said, not really a shooting game. Cool main character though.

Stringjam

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
I believe its mostly an issue of economics. If a publisher thinks that a male lead character is going to sell more games, then that is what they're going to code. Including a female character (such as in MassEffect) requires not only new modeling and voice acting for the entire game, but also a rewrite and re-code of much of the story. That means a big investment.

I agree with casualcolors about the psychological issues, but ONLY in multi-player games that are geared towards imitating reality (such as BF3). You shoot a woman in FarCry2, and I'll admit, I REALLY didn't want to.

Killing female characters is actually pretty common in RPG's, but in this "fantasy" setting, people don't seem to react the same way as if, say, a female soldier in an online FPS were to get gunned down. I'm not saying the reaction is right or wrong, only that it most certainly exists. FPS makers are already under a bit of fire and I don't think any of them wants to be the first to add more fan to the flame by inserting female soldiers.

I think in a single-player context, however, that having a female is really great - - and I'm actually surprised not to see more of it.

Metroid - one of the longest running, most popular games in history has a female lead. Mirror's Edge is one of my all-time favorite games, and the female lead for that story is spot-on perfect.

I would really like to see some more female leads in a serious FPS series.

cm0scm0s

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2012
do u know the game,

Oni ?

its from the anime / manga series Ghost in the shell

Trivia:

Ghost in the shell was comercialized in the older version of the now new game Syndicate called Syndicate wars , a poster of the protagonist was shown on billboards in that game.

Wamdue project - King of my castle video clip featured ghost in the shell

Oni is 3d person view but pretty cool non the less

waspzz

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010

I was also about to mention Oni. But its third person. Though its really a good game. It has melee and shooting, think of it as a futuristic ninja.

If old games count, I really suggest playing The Operative: No One Lives Forever and The Operative 2: A Spy in HARMS way.

Its pure fps with espionage theme ala James Bond with a 70s Retro Theme. The protagonist is a Spy name Kate Archer.. :D

for an fps, what difference does it make, you can't see yourself, your only job is to shoot people. How would being a female character make it more interesting, how could it possibly effect gameplay in an fps. Especially given the concept of equality. For RPG's I can see there being different dialogue options, different character attributes, weight limits, costs,

Solution

cm0scm0s

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2012

yeah oni rocks :p

Sabine Bickle

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
Criteria: First Person Perspective, Long range combat, Female protaganist, Single Player campaign, PC:
Here you go:
Dreamkiller
Clive Barker's Jericho
Call of Juarez: The Cartel
Fallout 3/New Vegas
Dark Salvation
Borderlands/2
Mirror's Edge
Metroid Prime Series
Rainbow Six: Vegas 2
No One Lives Forever/2
Left 4 Dead/2
Portal/2
Dead Island

Others:
The Elderscrolls Series/Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim
Mount and blade/Warband
Twin Sector
(The above are not shooting games)

There are a lot more third person games, Multiplayer only or Non-PC FPS games that have female protaganists.

Ren Shino

Honorable
May 11, 2013
combat arms, micro volt's, Renaissance Heroes, abp reloaded, Absolute Force Online, MATonline, Project Blackout, BlackShot

these are all free toplay titles that have females characters their for pc theirs a bigger list for xbox 360 but all htese have female characters and have fps aspects i say combat arms is your best bet out of all of them

Ren Shino

Honorable
May 11, 2013
combat arms, micro volt's, Renaissance Heroes, abp reloaded, Absolute Force Online, MATonline, Project Blackout, BlackShot

these are all free toplay titles that have females characters their for pc theirs a bigger list for xbox 360 but all htese have female characters and have fps aspects i say combat arms is your best bet out of all of them

Ren Shino

Honorable
May 11, 2013

Mark Blumenfeld

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013
Here's a really fun game you can try out with some character creation for both men and women, Tom Clancy's Rainbow 6 Vegas 2. You can customize all your armor and weapons like the originals but you have the option to pick gender. The game is fun, it's more of a FPS than the original games which had more of a RTS kind of a feeling to setting up assault paths.