Question Any Idea When X670 Gigabyte Boards Will Support 256GB Memory?

braxus

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
MSI and Asrock announced 6 months ago support for 256GB DDR5 memory. Gigabyte was mentioned to also do this. Yet after 6 months from the announcement, we still dont have 256GB of Ram sticks (64GB x4). Any word on when we'll finally see this? It sounded like it was coming soon, but no one is selling the memory yet.

MSI and Asrock announced 6 months ago support for 256GB DDR5 memory. Gigabyte was mentioned to also do this. Yet after 6 months from the announcement, we still dont have 256GB of Ram sticks (64GB x4). Any word on when we'll finally see this? It sounded like it was coming soon, but no one is selling the memory yet.
128GB is limit for consumer desktop CPUs, only server types can use 256GB, Without CPUs support, there's nothing MB manufacturers can do. Intel Xeon and AMD Threadripper on appropriate MBs can do 256GB. Don't know about Intel but there's talk about new Threadripper supposedly developed to run on AM5 motherboards.

35below0

Notable
Jan 3, 2024
There are some 64Gb modules (sticks) but not many 4x64 Gb kits. Or even 2x64 Gb kits.

I don't think there is enough demand. Even 64Gb of RAM is overkill. Twice or four times more is reeally overkill. Plus, the speed will likely be down to 4800Mhz.

Even silly consumers aren't that silly to drop 2 or 3 thousand for a 2560 6400 Mhz CL30 kit, so that's probably why they're not being manufactured.
Other than brag how much RAM someone has, there would be no purpose or benefit to having 256 Gb. For home use that is.

Professional use can resort to Threadripper setups.

braxus

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
I can't afford Threadripper for my system, but I make do with Ryzen 9. I need the extra ram because I work with 8k video, as long as an hour or mores worth, and that eats memory fast. So I work with what I have. I have 128GB at the moment. I had to set Windows for virtual memory because I ran out with the DDR5 memory.

35below0

Notable
Jan 3, 2024
I can't afford Threadripper for my system, but I make do with Ryzen 9. I need the extra ram because I work with 8k video, as long as an hour or mores worth, and that eats memory fast. So I work with what I have. I have 128GB at the moment. I had to set Windows for virtual memory because I ran out with the DDR5 memory.
What motherboard do you have? Does it support more than 128Gb?
You may not be able to find more than 128Gb RAM that is compatible, at least not today.

8K would eat RAM fast yeah. Unfortunately that would require a HEDT motherboard with 8 RAM slots.
You might be lucky and find a way to run 192Gb in a 4x48 kit on your consumer board.

braxus

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
What motherboard do you have? Does it support more than 128Gb?
You may not be able to find more than 128Gb RAM that is compatible, at least not today.
According to those reports I sited, they say a simple update will allow 256GB on these boards. My motherboard in is my signature, as is everything else.

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
we still dont have 256GB of Ram sticks (64GB x4). Any word on when we'll finally see this? It sounded like it was coming soon, but no one is selling the memory yet.
I think it’s a supply issue. Read a few articles claiming AI centres are eating up all the HBM and high density DRAM currently available.

Something no one mentioned during the Ryzen 8700G/8600G release is that they officially support 256GB RAM. Everyone was too preoccupied with its gaming performance. 🤦 So I think it’s just a case of supply catching up with CPU/mobo support.