Question Any idea why my wifes PC is crashing?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 4, 2022
Hey there everyone,

So she's had this problem for a while now. PC will crash after gaming for a short amount of time. I initially thought it was high temps but they seem to be within reason. Not really overheating. I've adjusted fan her curves in BIOS and MSI Afterburner, in any case, to see if it would help but it doesn't seem to be fixing anything. I've attached a HWinfo sheet and a screenshot of Speccy if that helps. If you need anything else let me know. I noticed her RAM is rated really low but I can't seem to adjust it in BIOS for some reason. I will try again but could it possibly be the RAM?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

HWinfo
Speccy

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Nope. The SFX is best, whether Gold or Platinum. It's 1-2 steps above the TXM.

However, the SFX is purpose built for Small form factor pc's, mITX etc. Therefore it's cables are extremely short and generally none will be of any use in a mATX or ATX mid tower without extensions and a bracket to convert the standard ATX bolt pattern to SFX bolt pattern. The SFX is about ½ the size of a standard ATX psu.

Leaving you with the TXM as the best alternative. The Antec HCG would be it's equivalent. The Antec name is actually honest, High Current Gamer vs a neo ECO. The neo is decent, but not designed for the heavy instantaneous power draws and abuse a decent sized gpu can demand from the psu. It's the difference between a constant lacksadaisical swing of a baseball bat, and the sudden explosion of motion in trying to hit a 100mph fastball.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022

However, the SFX is purpose built for Small form factor pc's, mITX etc. Therefore it's cables are extremely short and generally none will be of any use in a mATX or ATX mid tower without extensions and a bracket to convert the standard ATX bolt pattern to SFX bolt pattern. The SFX is about ½ the size of a standard ATX psu.

Leaving you with the TXM as the best alternative. The Antec HCG would be it's equivalent. The Antec name is actually honest, High Current Gamer vs a neo ECO. The neo is decent, but not designed for the heavy instantaneous power draws and abuse a decent sized gpu can demand from the psu. It's the difference between a constant lacksadaisical swing of a baseball bat, and the sudden explosion of motion in trying to hit a 100mph fastball.
Ah okay okay, I'll go for the TXM then. I just went off what was on that list that someone else had posted. The Antec was marked as best in its available Tier. Will get the TXM instead, cheers!

Reactions: Vic 40
Mar 4, 2022
Yes but as you kinda say, best in tier, it's still in tier B where the TXM is in tier A so a higher tier.

So got the PSU and replaced it and it's still happening.

Mar 4, 2022
Looking at this, is any of the drives very full? mainly the bootdrive=238gb SC300.
That third drive says usb/sata, how is that connected?

The pc did shut down during that log?

I reset the PC to factory default so the drives were clear. The third drive is connected via regular SATA cables. I will change the CMOS battery and the RAM when I get some for not too much.

It did, the end of the log is when it crashed and shut down.