Any informed opinions and insights about trade war/ future pricing?

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
I just read we should expect to see a 25% increase on computer components as soon as August 23rd.. Being I was going to upgrade next spring I am considering just buying now.

BUT, I am looking at the big picture and wondering how long those hikes can really last.

I bought a 1080 in February for $640 because I thought for sure it would be the best price for a long while.. and while not a terrible one I could have gotten a 1080ti now for $30 more...

I had been hearing about ssd prices taking a major dive throughout the fall and winter and RAM prices possibly dropping as well, now it sounds like the opposite.

What are your thoughts on this? Is it just another spike in prices everyone is freaking out about, that will inevitably correct itself? Or will this perhaps be the new norm for the foreseeable future?

Solution
It's unknown. The way trade import codes work is super vague and infuriating (way to many products to have specific codes for each, but they sure try). But last I heard one of the vague codes that source components used to make finished electronics was flagged as being in tariff. So that won't result in a total 25% increase in price, but could result in a pump up somewhere in the supply chain.

Also thing to remember is what country the parts actually come from. A lot of our computer electronics parts come out of Taiwan and South East Asia not China. Usually China just performs complete build assembly (aka Dell, HP, Apple) as opposed to individual parts (Intel, AMD, Nvidia).

The real true danger will be if China retaliates by stop...

USAFRet

Titan
Flood in Taiwan.
Hard drive prices spike. It corrects.

Fire in a fab plant in Malaysia.
RAM prices spike. It corrects.

Bitcoin mining appears to the masses.
GPU prices spike. It corrects.

Trade war pissing match.
Prices (may) spike. It will correct, eventually.

When? Who knows.

It's unknown. The way trade import codes work is super vague and infuriating (way to many products to have specific codes for each, but they sure try). But last I heard one of the vague codes that source components used to make finished electronics was flagged as being in tariff. So that won't result in a total 25% increase in price, but could result in a pump up somewhere in the supply chain.

Also thing to remember is what country the parts actually come from. A lot of our computer electronics parts come out of Taiwan and South East Asia not China. Usually China just performs complete build assembly (aka Dell, HP, Apple) as opposed to individual parts (Intel, AMD, Nvidia).

The real true danger will be if China retaliates by stop buying US Treasury bonds which will result in the US dollar losing value and all imports becoming more expensive as a result.

Solution

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017

Lol. This was my gut feeling, as I have noticed this pattern too. Patience it is then.