any necessity for firewall and anti-virus on client comput..

I have a very effective firewall and anti-virus program on my host
computer with router. I have two client computers. One has no firewall
or anti-virus, and never has any problems. The other has both firewall
and anti-virus, and is continually disconnecting from the internet.
When I remove the firewall and anti-virus, it performs much better. Is
there any reason for keeping the firewall and anti-virus on a client?
Howard Kainz

http://members.cox.net/tulsaalstons/
"Howard Kainz" <kainzh@earthlink-removetoreply-.net> wrote in message
> I have a very effective firewall and anti-virus program on my host
> computer with router. I have two client computers. One has no firewall
> or anti-virus, and never has any problems. The other has both firewall
> and anti-virus, and is continually disconnecting from the internet.
> When I remove the firewall and anti-virus, it performs much better. Is
> there any reason for keeping the firewall and anti-virus on a client?
> Howard Kainz

Yes. Especially important as they stop different things.

If you have an always on connection to the internet, a firewall is
essential. It protects your PC from constant probes on the internet. A
router with NAT will serve well as a firewall for inbound. but it is
important to have a firewall to protect from outbound viruses and trojans.

Also, many companies run anti-virus on both file servers and individual PCs.
Enough said.

Some anti-virus and firewall software doesn't work very well and may cause
problems. Good reason to try another product.

I use and like AVG antivirus www.grisoft.com and Zone Alarm
www.zonelabs.com Both are free for personal use.

--
Bob Alston

---

Howard Kainz <kainzh@earthlink-removetoreply-.net> wrote in news:w_dLc.5315
$iK.1572@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

> I have a very effective firewall and anti-virus program on my host
> computer with router. I have two client computers. One has no firewall
> or anti-virus, and never has any problems. The other has both firewall
> and anti-virus, and is continually disconnecting from the internet.
> When I remove the firewall and anti-virus, it performs much better. Is
> there any reason for keeping the firewall and anti-virus on a client?
> Howard Kainz

What O/S is being used on the client machine that you're having trouble?
What is on the other machines for the O/S?

Duane :)