Any negative effects from having different resolution in game then desktop

leighmorgan395

Reputable
Oct 11, 2017
So say if my game is at resolution 13 66 x 768 and my desktop resolution is 1080P will that have any negative effects, in game or doesn't it matter ?

I have a strange problem with my PC at the moment it's native resolution is 1366 x 768 but it looks better at 1080p but my PC can't handle 1080p on certain games at the settings I want.

Solution

Are you saying you have a 1366x768 monitor but the desktop looks better at 1920x1080? Both games and the desktop should look best when you're at the monitor's native resolution. If you're finding it looks better when you're not at the monitor's native resolution, set Windows' desktop resolution to the monitor's native resolution. Then try the following:

• ■If you're using a TV as a monitor, check in the TV settings for a way to eliminate overscan. You want the desktop pixels to align with the monitor pixels for best appearance, and it sounds...

leighmorgan395

Reputable
Oct 11, 2017

Ok cool. Don't know why I thought there would tbh just thought I'd check. Thx.

Are you saying you have a 1366x768 monitor but the desktop looks better at 1920x1080? Both games and the desktop should look best when you're at the monitor's native resolution. If you're finding it looks better when you're not at the monitor's native resolution, set Windows' desktop resolution to the monitor's native resolution. Then try the following:

• ■If you're using a TV as a monitor, check in the TV settings for a way to eliminate overscan. You want the desktop pixels to align with the monitor pixels for best appearance, and it sounds like yours aren't aligning.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/252193/hdtv-overscan-what-it-is-and-why-you-should-probably-turn-it-off/
    ■If you're using a VGA connection, try looking for an auto-adjust setting in the monitor's control panel. This will adjust the scan rate so the width and height of the displayed screen match the monitor's width and height, so the desktop pixels align with the monitor pixels.
    ■If you're using a digital connection (HDMI, DVI, Displayport), play around with the GPU settings to eliminate scaling.
    https://www.maketecheasier.com/fix-overscan-on-tv/
If it still looks bad, set your resolution to the monitor's resolution (1366x768) and try playing with the ClearType settings. This controls subpixel rendering of fonts.
https://www.grc.com/ctwhat.htm

Subpixel rendering is dependent on the ordering of the red, green, and blue subpixels within a pixel. If your monitor's ordering is different from the standard (RGB), fonts will look bad at native resolution, but look better at higher-than-native resolution. Windows' tool for adjusting ClearType should let you fix this.
https://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/turn-off-or-on-clear-type-text-in-windows-10.html

Generally, if you try to display an image that's not at the monitor's native resolution, it will introduce jaggies (jagged edges in diagonal lines). Windows (via subpixel rendering) and games (via anti-aliasing) are trying to hide the fact that the screen image is made up of square pixels. But if you don't display at the monitor's native resolution, this is all for naught and the misalignment will exaggerate the distortion caused by having square pixels (jaggies). (This was not a problem when we used CRT monitors. Since they displayed pixels as a round dots, they could display any resolution with the same fidelity.)

There are a few monitors and TVs which use sophisticated resampling of the image to scale it, instead of simply resizing it. When these display a non-native resolution, they smooth the output so you won't get jaggies, but everything will look blurrier. In the case of games, this may actually be preferable to anti-aliasing. By turning anti-aliasing off in the game, you improve FPS. And by running the game at a different resolution than the monitor (e.g. 1280x720 on a 1366x768 monitor), you force the monitor to resample, which blurs the pixel boundaries almost as if it were anti-aliasing. So you end up with what looks like an anti-aliased image without any of the framerate hit of turning on anti-aliasing.

Solution

leighmorgan395

Reputable
Oct 11, 2017

No sorry I meant it looks better at 1080p in game and desktop and windows recommends 1080p even though native is 1366, BUT my pc handles lower Res better ya know.

Also it seems to be a hdmi thing because if I setup my pc to TV with DVI instead of hdmi it sets to 1360 768 and says that's recommended too, BUT looks worse than 1080p in hdmi, didn't try setting to 1080 in DVI mode as I allways go with Windows recommend. Thx for detailed reply btw. I'll be looking into all of that thx.

Also my TV has a FULL aspects ratio along side 16:9 and all that. It allways looks better at full rather than 16:9 which I find weird as 16:9 is the aspect resolution

Oh and you really know you're shit too don't you . Lol. By the way it looks great at 1080p but I get this ghosting type effect, play at 30fps I think may be the cause, basicly if the camera is still the image looks amazing, really sharp, if I pan the camera just ever so slightly I get this, so hard to explain, it changes colour when panning the camera, ghosting sounds like the rite term but I'm not sure, it changes colour when the image is still then a darker when panning, it's a led smart screen, 32inch. Toshiba. Not the best brand maybe that's why.

Latest posts