Question Any optimizations to apply in BIOS or Windows? PC is running kind of slow...

HardGames323

Commendable
Aug 15, 2021
I feel like my PC is running kind of slow. Tried watching some videos about BIOS optimizations, but I don't really understand them and don't want to mess up something.
(The PC Is the GA35DX-XB999 configuration) Score in 3DMark is 17,139

MB: Asus ROG STRIX X570 (not sure whether it's the -E/-F)
GPU: ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 OC Edition 24GB GDDR6X
CPU: Liquid-cooled Ryzen 9 5900x
HDD 2 TB 7200 rpm, 1 TB SSD M.2 NVMe
RAM: 32GB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM
PSU: 850 W

Sorry if this isn't the right place for this thread.

Mariusglock

Reputable
Jun 13, 2020
How old is your system? For example i had one of my newer(1yr old) systems running for a year working on them with different applications (lots of server testing, game testing, and all kinds of things), however, it got cluttered within a year because of heavy use, and it got quite slow, a clean windows reinstall did the trick (since cleaning manually would take way to long) and now that system is running like though butter.

Given the statement of: "My system is running kinda slow" it would be best to just make a fresh install, because no one but you knows what you did/install on your system, and how bloated it is now, and what kind of crap is running in the backround.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
You could check if your ram is running in the correct mode, ie: Dual channel, quad channel, say for instance it's not when it's supposed to you might get the slow pc effect even with a beefy system.

Run your games and such of the fastest drive you got.

Get rid of bloatware, if that doesn't help, re-install everything from scratch. Starting with a clean reformat and delete partitions and reinstall of windows.
Then only install the games er' apps that you really want, don't mess around with settings and get right into great performance.

You are still going to need to figure out what the right settings for each game you run might be, but that can be done when running the said games and looking for smoothness and performance, best done at a time when you are not itching to start playing, because finding the correct settings for your specific system on any game or application can become a tricky business if it isn't done right, and with patients.

I recall some games that: auto revert back to non selected settings time and time again restarting and not applying, when trying to find something suited settings, best advice for those is to keep an eye on the Vram usage (after first setting up the resolutions and refresh rates and such) when selecting settings higher or lower and, and just because you have tons of Vram doesn't mean you can set the settings too use it all up by selection, because when the games or applications run they use far more than what is shown in the graphics settings page when the game or application is actually running, it's just a configuring aid and something to aid when reconfiguring games again after a format when still on the same hardware by remembering witch game uses what amount of Vram.

Last edited:
I feel like my PC is running kind of slow. Tried watching some videos about BIOS optimizations, but I don't really understand them and don't want to mess up something.
(The PC Is the GA35DX-XB999 configuration) Score in 3DMark is 17,139

PSU: 850 W

Sorry if this isn't the right place for this thread.
Just to see if something shows download this.

UBM

Reboot.
Wait a few mins.
Run UBM with the browser closed.
Post a LINK to the results page.

HardGames323

Commendable
Aug 15, 2021
How old is your system? For example i had one of my newer(1yr old) systems running for a year working on them with different applications (lots of server testing, game testing, and all kinds of things), however, it got cluttered within a year because of heavy use, and it got quite slow, a clean windows reinstall did the trick (since cleaning manually would take way to long) and now that system is running like though butter.

Given the statement of: "My system is running kinda slow" it would be best to just make a fresh install, because no one but you knows what you did/install on your system, and how bloated it is now, and what kind of crap is running in the backround.

I got it 2 weeks ago, but according to the ASUS app, it's 1 year old. Should I still reinstall Windows? I installed Windows 11 just yesterday, but it wasn't a clean install.

HardGames323

Commendable
Aug 15, 2021
You could check if your ram is running in the correct mode, ie: Dual channel, quad channel, say for instance it's not when it's supposed to you might get the slow pc effect even with a beefy system.

Run your games and such of the fastest drive you got.

Get rid of bloatware, if that doesn't help, re-install everything from scratch. Starting with a clean reformat and delete partitions and reinstall of windows.
Then only install the games er' apps that you really want, don't mess around with settings and get right into great performance.

You are still going to need to figure out what the right settings for each game you run might be, but that can be done when running the said games and looking for smoothness and performance, best done at a time when you are not itching to start playing, because finding the correct settings for your specific system on any game or application can become a tricky business if it isn't done right, and with patients.

I recall some games that, auto revert back to non selected settings time and time again, when trying to find something suited, best advice for those is to keep an eye on the Vram usage when selecting settings up or down and, and just because you have tons of Vram doesnt mean you can have to settings use it all up by selection, because when the game or applications run they use far more than what is shown when the game or application is actually running, it's just a configuring aid.

My RAM is running in Dual channel,
should I run my games on the SSD or HDD? And for the Windows part, I installed Windows 11 yesterday, even tho it wasn't a clean install, it was just an "upgrade". Should I try a clean install with all filed removed?

Mariusglock

Reputable
Jun 13, 2020
I got it 2 weeks ago, but according to the ASUS app, it's 1 year old. Should I still reinstall Windows? I installed Windows 11 just yesterday, but it wasn't a clean install.

should I run my games on the SSD or HDD?
Burn yourself win10 to a usb, and make a clean install (wipe the boot drive clean), lots of people like to get on win11, but circumstantially lots of people get problems with win11 still. Its not quite yeat polished OS, and can encaunter problems while using it.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You should run your games on a SSD, since you could have a old and unreliable HDD.
If your problem is that your PC runs slow, while using OS that (runs slow while isntalled on HDD) or games are on a HDD (while plaing games on HDD) , then this would be the first place to look at

In general you want your OS installed on a SSD, and games on SSD aswell. There are ofcourse great HDDs that can run quite smooth, but since we dont know the state of you HDD, best you install your OS to SSD, and run your apps from SSD

Last edited:
Reactions: HardGames323

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
My RAM is running in Dual channel,
should I run my games on the SSD or HDD? And for the Windows part, I installed Windows 11 yesterday, even tho it wasn't a clean install, it was just an "upgrade". Should I try a clean install with all filed removed?

The better perfected your OS and drivers are the more chance you will have of getting great performance save your hardware is working as it should, then doing what I posted above.

Great build by the way, hope it serves you well:
PSU: 850 W <<<( Might want to check if it is suitable for the build, exactly what PSU it is)

HardGames323

Commendable
Aug 15, 2021
Burn yourself win10 to a usb, and make a clean install (wipe the boot drive clean), lots of people like to get on win11, but circumstantially lots of people get problems with win11 still. Its not quite yeat polished OS, and can encaunter problems while using it.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You should run your games on a SSD, since you could have a old and unreliable HDD.
If your problem is that your PC runs slow, while your OS (runs slow while using OS in general on HDD) or games are on a HDD (while plaing games on HDD) , then this would be the first place to look at

In general you want your OS installed on a SSD, and games on SSD aswell. There are ofcourse great HDDs that can run quite smooth, but since we dont know the state of you HDD, best you install your OS to SSD, and run your apps from SSD
Thanks a lot for the help, but I got a bit confused. I run my games on my HDD and my OS is on the SSD.
I will install Windows 10 later, or tomorrow. Hope it fixes the problem.

HardGames323

Commendable
Aug 15, 2021
The better perfected your OS and drivers are the more chance you will have of getting great performance save your hardware is working as it should, then doing what I posted above.

Great build by the way, hope it serves you well:
PSU: 850 W <<<( Might want to check if it is suitable for the build, exactly what PSU it is)
I'm gonna start over with Windows 10 now. Thanks for the help.

Mariusglock

Reputable
Jun 13, 2020
Thanks a lot for the help, but I got a bit confused. I run my games on my HDD and my OS is on the SSD.
I will install Windows 10 later, or tomorrow. Hope it fixes the problem.
So does your computer feel slow in general (while browsing internet (opening apps like Chrome Browser), and just in general)?
Or does your PC feels slow while you play games that are installed on HDD?

If you have your games on HDD, than yes, they will work a little slower, and you can encaunter a bit of lag, depending of your HDD state.

Anyways, since it is unknown, how much bloatware apps you have running in background, i suggest just fresh reinstall.
1# Install win10 on SSD
2# update your windows (not to win11, just basic updates)
3# then install chipset and gpu drivers
4# and then install your games on SSD. :)

Last edited:

HardGames323

Commendable
Aug 15, 2021
So does your computer feel slow in general (while browsing internet, and just in general)?
While browsing the internet feels normal, but when playing games (all my games are on my HDD), some feel low FPS. Red Dead Redemption 2 on Max graphics 1440p, runs awesome. But in some other games like FiveM, runs kinda slow.
Is it because GTA 5 is an old game..? I really have no idea. Assetto Corsa runs fine, ETS, ATS, The Bus and all these run fine.

HardGames323

Commendable
Aug 15, 2021
So does your computer feel slow in general (while browsing internet (opening apps like Chrome Browser), and just in general)?

If you have your games on HDD, than yes, they will work a little slower, and you can encaunter a bit of lag, depending of your HDD state.

Anyways, since it is unknown, how much bloatware apps you have running in background, i suggest just fresh reinstall of win10 on SSD, after update your windows, then install chipset and gpu drivers, and then install your games on SSD. :)
I typically use an optimizer for Windows. Which removes bloatware and all these unnecessary things. But the other problem is that my 1 TB SSD will run kinda fast out of space :D
Do I install Software on the HDD then? Thanks for all the help

Mariusglock

Reputable
Jun 13, 2020
While browsing the internet feels normal, but when playing games (all my games are on my HDD), some feel low FPS. Red Dead Redemption 2 on Max graphics 1440p, runs awesome. But in some other games like FiveM, runs kinda slow.
Is it because GTA 5 is an old game..? I really have no idea. Assetto Corsa runs fine, ETS, ATS, The Bus and all these run fine.

FiveM is a GTA5 mod, it is not an official game(mod) and it is not optimized well to run smooth. Even on best systems you will have occasional lag :)

Do I install Software on the HDD then? Thanks for all the help

Install Your win10(with all the drivers) and all games on SSD, leave your HDD just for random files.

# Since you say you have lag only on FiveM, I would say your HDD is in perfect health, but if you want you can still reinstall everything on SSD to get maximum performance, but FiveM will never run smooth, since its a not well optimized mod :)

Last edited:

HardGames323

Commendable
Aug 15, 2021
FiveM is a GTA5 mod, it is not an official game(mod) and it is not optimized well to run smooth. Even on best systems you will have occasional lag :)

Install Your win10(with all the drivers) and all games on SSD, leave your HDD just for random files.

# Since you say you have lag only on FiveM, I would say your HDD is in perfect health, but if you want you can still reinstall everything on SSD to get maximum performance, but FiveM will never run smooth, since its a not well optimized mod :)
Thanks! I hope random files include software :D. SSD only for games and HDD for everything else

Mariusglock

Reputable
Jun 13, 2020
Thanks! I hope random files include software :D. SSD only for games and HDD for everything else
It depends of what kind of software :) if you mean games, than it should go on SSD, if you mean software (that you use occasionally) like winrar, bittorrent, vlcplayer, etc... than it can go on HDD :)

Btw your welcome :wahoo:

Last edited: