Question Any other way to reduce temps? 14900k

Blaketho

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2014
As title says I'm trying to get temps a little lower. I've never under/overclocked in my life. When I built my PC they were out of 14700k so i went with the i9 14900k.
I'm using an air cooler which i know swapping to AIO would potentially help a bit but ideally I'd like to avoid messing with the internals.

I have the core voltage offset at -0.05V. PL1 and PL2 (if i remember the terms right) are at 200W. Motherboard cooling setting is set to Air/Tower cooler. I have the motherboard turbo boost thing turned off. And recently because games are giving me issues with shader memory i have the active core ratio down to 58x and 55x according to an NVIDIA guide.
Is there anything else I can do to lower temps? Certain games are hitting thermal throttle. Most games actually run fine right around in the 60-70C range which I'm happy with for an air cooler on this thing. Problem is certain games that are more intensive case the throttling even with all the settings I have. Is there something I'm missing or am I just running a stupid CPU for my system? (I assume i should've just waited for a 14700k)

Is there anything else I can do to lower temps?
you don't mention the case you are using or how your system fans are setup.
the room's ambient temperature will also affect overall temps.

keep the room as cool as possible with adequate cool air intake and warm air exhaust for the case.

what temps are your GPU reaching @ idle and maxed in games?
certain games that are more intensive case the throttling
how are you observing and tracking this throttling?

include your complete system specs with the make & model of all components.

Blaketho

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2014
you don't mention the case you are using or how your system fans are setup.
the room's ambient temperature will also affect overall temps.

keep the room as cool as possible with adequate cool air intake and warm air exhaust for the case.

what temps are your GPU reaching @ idle and maxed in games?

how are you observing and tracking this throttling?

include your complete system specs with the make & model of all components.
Apologies for the lack of info.

Generally my rooms anywhere from 68-70F
The case is a Corsair 5000D airflow. Three 120 fans in front intake. 2 140 on top exhaust and a 120 back exhaust. Cpu cooler is noctua nhd15s with an extra 120 fan.
Msi 4090
Ram is Corsair ddr5 32gb 6200mhz i think, not at my pc now to verify for sure.
And Msi tomahawk motherboard

I’ve been using the intel xtu software to change setting as I go and monitor cpu temps and it has a throttling monitor. I haven’t watched you temps though I should probably pull those up too. I have Hardware Info so next time I’m using it I will pull it up for temps but I won’t be able to til tomorrow afternoon

Quick edit: also I have some motherboard fan curves set up but I can still increase fan rpm so maybe I could try that for higher cpu temps