Any point in using a SB6183 modem, on a 155 Mbps service?

zerophase

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2013
I'm buying an ASUS RT-AC5300, but I noticed it's actually cheaper to purchase it with an SB6183 after rebate. The only problem is RCN only offers 155 Mbps in my area, and my old SB6141 doesn't even hit its full bandwidth of 300Mbps. (In speedtest it does spike up to 190 Mbps for a couple of seconds) Would I actually see any benefit from using the new modem? SB6183 has twice the download channels of SB6141.

Solution
It to a point depends on how the ISP has their equipment configured. Some have issues running the higher encoding rates. So some run 2 times the channels at half the encoding rate and get the same speed as running fewer channels at the higher rate.

Likely though the extra channels will go unused. What the ISP many times does is use 1 block of channels for 1 group of customers and the second for another group. This lets them control how bandwidth is divided a little better.

It seems when fiber gets close to any neighborhood the ISP magically has equipment that can use all these channels where they would tell you they could not the month before.
It to a point depends on how the ISP has their equipment configured. Some have issues running the higher encoding rates. So some run 2 times the channels at half the encoding rate and get the same speed as running fewer channels at the higher rate.

Likely though the extra channels will go unused. What the ISP many times does is use 1 block of channels for 1 group of customers and the second for another group. This lets them control how bandwidth is divided a little better.

It seems when fiber gets close to any neighborhood the ISP magically has equipment that can use all these channels where they would tell you they could not the month before.

Solution