Any point upgrading my i3 3220 or would I not notice any difference? (1155 CPUs only)

Remi_DatBoi

Commendable
Jun 7, 2016
Right now I have an i3 3220 and I'm planning of upgrading it sooner or later. My motherboard can only support 1155 CPUs. Is there any point upgrading (to say an i5 3570k or something like that) or would I not even notice the difference?

I'm currently running on a 750 Ti GPU and the games I usually play (as of now) are League of Legends, Overwatch and Grand Theft Auto 5

I'm sorry if I'm sounding very much like a naive person right now ( it's because I am) thanks for the help

EDIT: My motherboard is ASRock H61M-VS R2.0 and am currently running on a 450W PSU

Solution
An i5 would certainly be an improvement. K might not be worth it if your motherboard doesn't support overclocking.

If you want longevity though, picking up a used i7-3770 or Xeon E3-1230 is your best option.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
An i5 would certainly be an improvement. K might not be worth it if your motherboard doesn't support overclocking.

If you want longevity though, picking up a used i7-3770 or Xeon E3-1230 is your best option.

Solution

TomTom111

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
You'd basically be gaining the ability to overclock with upgrading to the 3570k which you could push to squeeze more performance, and adding 2 more cores, which is proven to add performance in recent titles with multi-threaded games finally catching up.

It would be a noticeable difference (guessing ~5 fps in league of legends)

There will probably be a noticeable difference in GTA 5, that game has heavy AI that love more/faster cores on a CPU. I kind of doubt you'd see big difference on LoL or Overwatch.

Since you're looking at such an old chipset the prices for used are pretty reasonable. 100ish for an i5-3570, 150ish for a i5-3570k or 200ish for an i7-3770. Personally I'd say go for the i7, its not that expensive and it still packs a major punch today.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

Very motherboard dependent though. Unlikely to see an i3 paired with a Z77 board. All the K gains you over an i5-3570 is 100Mhz.