Question Any recommendations for an AV ?

Mar 21, 2024
For context I'm a very careful individual, everything I download off the internet I run through Windows Defender and Virustotal before executing, links I don't know I run through url scanners etc before opening. What I'm more so trying to avoid is some niche rare cases such as popular website or application exploits etc and getting infected through those type of things.

Mar 21, 2024
If you really must run sketchy things from the internet, consider creating a Windows VM and launching the app in that.
Yeah for context sake the "sketchiest" thing I run is FiveM which is a multiplayer mod platform for GTA V, I've been slightly looking into vms with that said any recommendations purpose would be multi use gaming included.

Yeah for context sake the "sketchiest" thing I run is FiveM which is a multiplayer mod platform for GTA V, I've been slightly looking into vms with that said any recommendations purpose would be multi use gaming included.
If you're looking to game on a VM, that's not doable in Windows. It's doable in Linux, but you need another GPU (one for the host, the other for the VM).

Otherwise, VirtualBox is fine for just checking things out, if you don't have access to Windows Sandbox

Reactions: DeltaCape
Mar 21, 2024
If you're looking to game on a VM, that's not doable in Windows. It's doable in Linux, but you need another GPU (one for the host, the other for the VM).

Otherwise, VirtualBox is fine for just checking things out, if you don't have access to Windows Sandbox
Yeah I mean tbh linux has been quite tempting given the amount in os spyware, bloat etc that ms windows has.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

whynotme

Reputable
Aug 20, 2019
Love all the Defender defenders. I'm in cybersecurty, and I can tell you the product we make finds so much more malware trying to get through that Defender does let through. We're a layer on top of Microsoft Defender. Not just our solutions, but our competitors' solutions. Defender is like a toy. You really want protection, get a solution from a business-focused cybersecurity company. All of these are worlds better than just Defender. Cisco, Palo Alto, Check Point, Fortinet, and many others. If you don't know who these companies are, you really don't know what you're talking about.

USAFRet

Titan
Love all the Defender defenders. I'm in cybersecurty, and I can tell you the product we make finds so much more malware trying to get through that Defender does let through. We're a layer on top of Microsoft Defender. Not just our solutions, but our competitors' solutions. Defender is like a toy. You really want protection, get a solution from a business-focused cybersecurity company. All of these are worlds better than just Defender. Cisco, Palo Alto, Check Point, Fortinet, and many others. If you don't know who these companies are, you really don't know what you're talking about.
And at the home consumer level (as was the point of the question) all of those are way over the top.
Both in management and expense.

What do YOU use at home?

whynotme

Reputable
Aug 20, 2019
And at the home consumer level (as was the point of the question) all of those are way over the top.
Both in management and expense.

What do YOU use at home?
Enterprise class firewall, endpoint protection, email protection, mobile protection. I get everything free from my company. And it's all managed on my own tenant, so it's really not that complicated. If I didn't get this for free, knowing what I know now, I'd buy it all anyhow.

whynotme

Reputable
Aug 20, 2019
Right.

You understand this stuff.
I understand this stuff.

For the vast majority of people out there, you're speaking Greek translated from the original Klingon.
There should be a co-op style enterprise class endpoint and email solution out there. Like AV sharing for home users. Home users deserve more than your typical consumer-grade solutions.