[SOLVED] Any solution to high chipset temp ?

May 22, 2021
I have Asus tuf x570 motherboard and the chipset temp in idle is 74c and in load 90 c. I changed the TIM for the cooler and used noctua thermal paste but no difference. I tried to put another fan but also no difference. The only one that prevent reach 100c is to leave case side door open!
any other solution ?

Solution
First question to get answered is whether that's a typical temperature for X570 chipsets since it may be they're designed for operating at that temp level. CPU's and GPU's also are designed to operate at much higher temps than previously. And lastly: this must be the reason they come with fans.

Replacing thermal interface material is almost always a vain effort as even if it does something it gains at most a couple degrees improvement. The sole exception is when it's missing entirely or the cooler was poorly mounted in the first place. And that's true in everything: CPU, GPU, VRM, chipsets included.

The only viable solution is to avoid X570 altogether with a move to a B550 motherboard, assuming you have no need of the vast array of...
First question to get answered is whether that's a typical temperature for X570 chipsets since it may be they're designed for operating at that temp level. CPU's and GPU's also are designed to operate at much higher temps than previously. And lastly: this must be the reason they come with fans.

Replacing thermal interface material is almost always a vain effort as even if it does something it gains at most a couple degrees improvement. The sole exception is when it's missing entirely or the cooler was poorly mounted in the first place. And that's true in everything: CPU, GPU, VRM, chipsets included.

The only viable solution is to avoid X570 altogether with a move to a B550 motherboard, assuming you have no need of the vast array of PCIe gen 4 lanes provided by that chipset.

Last edited:
Solution
May 22, 2021
I send the same question to Asus support from days but no replay . I read while googling that x570 chipset can operate up to 125c but I am not sure this is true or not

I send the same question to Asus support from days but no replay . I read while googling that x570 chipset can operate up to 125c but I am not sure this is true or not

125C doesn't seem completely unreasonable given the nature of it, and you're not the only one exclaiming on how hot it can get. But even so, whether to fully believe it depends on what the source is. If it's traceable to AMD, either an ARK document, a spec's page or a public comment by someone like Robert Hallock, AMD's tech marketing director would be best.

Asus will probably comment generically and in some kind of non-committal way since it deals with AMD parts. They know that even if vastly overheating it will still outlast warranty, that's all they care about.

Reactions: William258