[SOLVED] Any suggestions on stopping e-mail spam?

Craig234

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
I get several spam e-mails a day I suspect are from the same sender.

But they come from different addresses, things like hgjgkgkjgkhg@hgjhkjdfghds.us. The next one is fromroiuerioioruoir@uywreiwur.us.

They seem to create a new domain for every spam e-mail.

So, I can 'block'/'ignore' the sender and it has no effect.

It's basically free to them to keep my e-mail on their distribution for unlimited spam. Of course the e-mails have an 'unsubscribe' which I think I clicked a while ago, and likely does either nothing or just cements my e-mail as one opening their mails.

I'm not seeing any way to get rid of these e-mails. It's too bad, I can imagine a third party utility might be possible that could help. Is there any way to send ".us" e-mails to junk, I'm not sure I get any valid ones? Though I wouldn't be surprised if they could make .com instead of .us.

Solution
Actually I see those are outlook options; but I'm using hotmail and don't see rules like that.
Wasn't all Hotmail accounts forced to switch over to Outlook? Have you not switched over yet?

S8B3h3J.png

Here's the Settings button in Outlook. I'm pretty sure that the older Hotmail had similar options too. Look around in the settings.

If you need to, look up instructions for setting up a filter in Hotmail. This is how filters work. They let you do things like this, such as blocking .us addresses. Or blocking email based upon keywords that are in the body of the mail.

gardenman

Splendid
You can send all .us emails to the spam folder, but I'd recommend that you be more specific. For example, if they are selling "fluffy pillows" and use those two words in each email, it's better to block the email based on that. When you block all .us email addresses, that may block an email that you want sometime later.

However, if you want to block all .us addresses, you can with this:

To block a email, click on the Settings (gear) icon at the top/right.
At the bottom go to "View All Outlook Settings".
Click on "Rules".
Click on "Add New Rule".
Type in a name such as ".US addys"
Click on Add a Condition.
Under "Keywords" select "Sender address includes".
Type in ".us" without the quotes.
Click on "Select an action".
Choose "Move to"
Choose "Junk Email" folder.
Click Save at the bottom of the page.

It would better to use a different "Condition". For example, under Condition, choose Keywords / "Message Body Includes", and type in "fluffy pillows". That will be more specific to that spammer.

I also recommend redirecting emails to the Junk folder, rather than deleting them.

Craig234

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
You can send all .us emails to the spam folder, but I'd recommend that you be more specific. For example, if they are selling "fluffy pillows" and use those two words in each email, it's better to block the email based on that. When you block all .us email addresses, that may block an email that you want sometime later.

However, if you want to block all .us addresses, you can with this:

To block a email, click on the Settings (gear) icon at the top/right.
At the bottom go to "View All Outlook Settings".
Click on "Rules".
Click on "Add New Rule".
Type in a name such as ".US addys"
Click on Add a Condition.
Under "Keywords" select "Sender address includes".
Type in ".us" without the quotes.
Click on "Select an action".
Choose "Move to"
Choose "Junk Email" folder.
Click Save at the bottom of the page.

It would better to use a different "Condition". For example, under Condition, choose Keywords / "Message Body Includes", and type in "fluffy pillows". That will be more specific to that spammer.

I also recommend redirecting emails to the Junk folder, rather than deleting them.

Thanks for the tip; the e-mails have nothing in common like 'fluffy pillows' so it'd have to be all .us or none.

Unfortunately, when I do an e-mail search on ".us" tons of e-mails are shown none of which are from a .us domain or spam. Not sure if the filter would get different ones.

gardenman

Splendid
Actually I see those are outlook options; but I'm using hotmail and don't see rules like that.
Wasn't all Hotmail accounts forced to switch over to Outlook? Have you not switched over yet?

S8B3h3J.png

Here's the Settings button in Outlook. I'm pretty sure that the older Hotmail had similar options too. Look around in the settings.

If you need to, look up instructions for setting up a filter in Hotmail. This is how filters work. They let you do things like this, such as blocking .us addresses. Or blocking email based upon keywords that are in the body of the mail.

Solution