Question Any thoughts on OOMA vs Xfinity Voice?

jm88

Reputable
Jun 18, 2020
Xfinity Voice is not that expensive (I think it is $10 extra a month, or possibly more but you get more of a discount if you have more services so I think it ends up around $10) but my Xfinity bill is getting so high and even though every year when the promotion is up I have to contact them to get a new one, the discounts aren't as much anymore. I want to keep the landline and it is worth it to me for $10 or so a month, but was thinking of just switching over to OOMA since it is free (plus taxes which I pay on Xfinity anyways) and am wondering if it is better quality-wise. Maybe it will be nice to not have another thing tied to Xfinity either.

jm88

Reputable
Jun 18, 2020
I've had an Ooma for about a decade.
Zero problems.
About $6/month.
Is it best to just install the base connected to the router in my network closet (in the basement)? There is also a phone jack in there so I can feed it to the other phone jacks in the house. However, if I use the Ooma handsets in conjunction with other phones, is the range very far on them (if you have used them)?

USAFRet

Titan
Is it best to just install the base connected to the router in my network closet (in the basement)? There is also a phone jack in there so I can feed it to the other phone jacks in the house. However, if I use the Ooma handsets in conjunction with other phones, is the range very far on them (if you have used them)?
I've not used the Ooma handsets.

I have a whole other cordless set, Uniden.
But any cordless set with a regular phone jack will work.

And yes, the Ooma base is supposed to be connected directly to the router.