Question Any way to back up Google Drive and Onedrive content on my PC with File History?

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
When I try to add the Onedrive or Google Drive folders to File History so that they are backed up to my external hard drive, the are not added. Probably becase these are virtual drive folders. This wasn't an issue a few weeks ago, before I reinstalled Windows 10 to clear some issues.

Is there a way to back up these to File History?

Any help much appreciated

Colif

Win 11 Master
The entire purpose of these two is to have external file locations. Provided the latest files are on the servers, you can download them at any time. Backing them up on file history could mess with their sync process. what if you rolled back and had older files, how would they react? I don't know... could be they just reload all the new ones. That appears to be what Onedrive does.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...onedrive/7a3d1dbc-5002-4690-9643-0958e7a3c11e

I am not sure about Onedrive but its likely the same.

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
The entire purpose of these two is to have external file locations. Provided the latest files are on the servers, you can download them at any time. Backing them up on file history could mess with their sync process. what if you rolled back and had older files, how would they react? I don't know... could be they just reload all the new ones. That appears to be what Onedrive does.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...onedrive/7a3d1dbc-5002-4690-9643-0958e7a3c11e

I am not sure about Onedrive but its likely the same.
I eventually created a bat file with some robocopy commands to run every day with task scheduler and it's working fine. It's not messing up anything as I'm not copying back to the original location. I just want a local backup of my google drive files just in case google fails me some day.

Thanks for your answer.

Apr 6, 2024
Consider third-party backup software that offers cloud storage integration. These programs can schedule automatic backups of your OneDrive and Google Drive folders to your external hard drive.
Popular options include:
  • Veeam
  • EaseUS Todo Backup
  • Gs Richcopy 360
  • Cobian Backup
  • Syncback

Also, you can try using OneDrive and Google Drive's built-in backup functionalities.
  • OneDrive: Right-click the OneDrive icon in your taskbar, select "Settings" > "Backup" and choose the folders you want to back up locally on your PC.
  • Google Drive: Install the Google Drive desktop app. It automatically creates a local folder that mirrors your online Drive content.
This approach keeps a local copy on your PC that can be further backed up (including to your external hard drive) using File History or other backup methods