[SOLVED] Any way to improve Minecraft Java FPS without buying new hardware?

RAIDGoblin

Reputable
Jan 10, 2021
System Specs:

CPU:
AMD Ryzen 3 3200G
- GPU: Ryzen CPU internal graphics
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M Gaming, Micro-ATX
RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz
Boot drive: 240GB Corsair MP510, M.2
HDD's for RAID array: 2x 1TB Seagate BarraCuda
PSU: 300W SilverStone SST-SX300-B, SFX Seiries

I put a cheeky comment on this thread about a week ago: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/minecraft-very-low-fps-decent-computer.3686591/ and, unsurprisingly no-one replied, so now I've started a new thread like a civilised forum user :)

I'm not really a gamer but I play a bit of minecraft, I've never really worried/thought about it running badly before, I'm well aware that the problem is ryzen CPU internal graphics - even if it still runs better than on my laptop

So my question here is: Is there any software/graphics setup way to improve the FPS without buying more stuff?

I'm asking out of curiosity and if the answer is "no" just say, I'm not bothered

Solution
I highly recommend installing OptiFine for the game version you are currently playing at. It provides a larger array of options regaarding performance and also improves overall game performance, and makes your playing experience way smoother, there is also a setting regarding VBO's and the way OpenGL handles rendering but you need to play around with that and test if it improves the games performance or not. Other than that you could try a custom resolution texture pack (try a 16x16 one and if you are not satisfied there are some great 8x8 ones that give both great fps improvements and make your game look stylish). One last thing you could try is running the game on High Priority (You can set the priority of most of your programs and...

RAIDGoblin

Reputable
Jan 10, 2021
Have you monitored temps/usage while gaming?
yep, it averages 60-65C, and never above 68C, cant remember usage right now

What fps do you get?
minimum 10, maximum 18

What monitor resolution are you playing at?
I'm at work at the moment and I cant remember, but my monitor is an old VGA one, it's not very big, seen here:
gINSmVy.jpg

Same one I use to run with my old Pentium 4 build

RAIDGoblin

Reputable
Jan 10, 2021
What settings are you running the game at?
This is the bit I'm not sure about, there's so many graphics options and I don't really understand what most of them mean :(

I'll have to look when I get home from work but are there any specific things I should make sure are turned off/on?

From memory: I have the most basic texture pack, render distance set on 6, clouds on flat, I have tried to turn most things onto the most simple/fastest option but I don't really understand what I'm doing so I may well have missed something

Also AT Launcher, the only mod I use is a minimap

Mar 15, 2021
I highly recommend installing OptiFine for the game version you are currently playing at. It provides a larger array of options regaarding performance and also improves overall game performance, and makes your playing experience way smoother, there is also a setting regarding VBO's and the way OpenGL handles rendering but you need to play around with that and test if it improves the games performance or not. Other than that you could try a custom resolution texture pack (try a 16x16 one and if you are not satisfied there are some great 8x8 ones that give both great fps improvements and make your game look stylish). One last thing you could try is running the game on High Priority (You can set the priority of most of your programs and services going into Task Manager-> Details -> Right Click on the program -> Set Priority).

Solution

VIVO-US

Honorable
Feb 1, 2017
In addition to Optifine, try turning down the render distance in the game's graphics settings. Start at maybe 6 chunks (low distance), try it for a few minutes to let it all load fully, then add a chunk of distance at a time until you find the sweet spot for what your CPU can handle.

EDIT: Adjusting other quality settings such as details and cloud shadows can also make a big difference in performance.

Last edited:

RAIDGoblin

Reputable
Jan 10, 2021
I highly recommend installing OptiFine for the game version you are currently playing at. It provides a larger array of options regaarding performance and also improves overall game performance, and makes your playing experience way smoother
Thanks so much for the tip, using OptiFine and a render distance of 6 I'm getting 25fps most of the time, and my minimum has gone up to 17fps, still not amazing I know - but much improved :)

In addition to Optifine, try turning down the render distance in the game's graphics settings. Start at maybe 6 chunks (low distance), try it for a few minutes to let it all load fully, then add a chunk of distance at a time until you find the sweet spot for what your CPU can handle.

EDIT: Adjusting other quality settings such as details and cloud shadows can also make a big difference in performance.
I turned most of the unnecessary shaders/animations etc... off using OptiFine, and as for render distance, I think 6 is my sweet-spot, mainly due to lack of RAM I think? because the CPU internal graphics uses 2GB, that leaves only 6GB for everything else my PC is running as well as the game. My brother is convinced that if I upgraded the RAM it would run much better but I've spent enough money for now

Reactions: xX_noob_Xx